Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will they breed?  (Read 1902 times)

slinky123

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
Will they breed?
« on: June 15, 2015, 08:07:39 PM »

So heres the low down, I've had two Chinchillas for quite some time now completely bonded. They have a huge Critter nation cage + add-on unit; pretty much they are spoiled and have a mansion. Plenty of free-roaming time as well. They're both about a year old and do not attempt to breed, though the male has made attempts in the passed she has told him off no violence was had and everything was fine, in fact she just kind of stood up barked and he left, never once has she sprayed him away. Anyway aside from all this, theres totally no mating attempts at all period anymore; Is this weird? are they going to try to mate again in the future?

I'm fully prepared for them to have kits now, The Critter nation makes for a good cage to section off into two levels and I also have a smaller rabbit cage for any kind of weird seperation is needed, also have a second giant 7 foot home made walk in cage that is empty as well so space is not an issue.

And to rule out any thoughts on her being pregnant is kind of out of the question Im inspecting the cage everyday incase of the seamen sack that falls out and checking for pregnancy signs on her.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Will they breed?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 08:22:58 PM »

Unfortunately the breeding process can be highly unpredictable. Some chinchillas may not breed very often if at all. Typically most behavior will take place at night well after most people are asleep. Seeing the breeding plug is not a reliable indicator that something has happened because you may never see it as sometimes chinchillas will eat it. If you do see it then yes something did happen. (It is not semen per se, btw, but a waxy substance produced by the seminal vesicles.) The good news is the Critter Nation cage (proper) has narrow enough bar spacing so you're not going to have the kit escape but the environment is certainly not safe for it, especially with a 3 level cage. Pregnancy signs can also be tricky to ascertain. I think the best thing to do at this point is be observant, check every morning for kits, and just have that other cage ready to transfer the kits and the dam as soon as you see them.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 04:56:49 PM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

slinky123

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 10:06:48 PM »

Sounds good, I read somewhere that she could also be stressed living in her critter nation mansion with one other male, So I have cleaned it very in depth and blocked them off to allow her to create her own territory and introduce her to his section for mating sessions. I hope it helps a bit, and thats good news! I'm glad the kits can fit in there I have other cage spaces with smaller wire spacing as well as home made mesh wire cages.

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 04:33:08 PM »

Are your chinchillas pedigreed? Did you purchase them as a pair? Do they compliment each other's faults? You shouldn't breed animals unless you are improving the next generation. They can and will breed when they choose to. Some breed within days and others take months.
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets
Pages: [1]   Go Up