Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla behaviour change.. Help needed!!  (Read 701 times)

amelia

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Chinchilla behaviour change.. Help needed!!
« on: June 10, 2015, 12:45:20 AM »

Ive had Gonzo for a few months & I wanted to buy two chinchillas as I read they are better in twos but he was the only one at the store. Anyway ever since I got him I spent so much time with him and we created a really good bond. I still decided I wanted to get him a companion so I bought another chinchilla Rizzo. I started introducing them and did everything right but they showed no signs of getting along as Rizzo just attacked gonzo all the time. They are in seperate cages in the same room and Gonzo's behaviour has changed dramatically since Rizzo arrived. He isn't eating as much, he doesn't even want to come out for play time some times. I was just wondering if it's normal for gonzo to react this way. My auntie is adopting Rizzo soon so Im hoping things will go back to normal and Gonzo's anxiety will lessen
Sorry this is lengthy!!

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Chinchilla behaviour change.. Help needed!!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 07:15:58 AM »

Welcome to the Chinchilla Club forums. I'm sorry it's not working out very well. You've said you've done everything right. Can you describe what you've done to this point and the timeframes? Also can you verify both chinchillas are the same gender?
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

amelia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 01:15:07 PM »

Welcome to the Chinchilla Club forums. I'm sorry it's not working out very well. You've said you've done everything right. Can you describe what you've done to this point and the timeframes? Also can you verify both chinchillas are the same gender?

thank you so much for replying
both chinchillas are definitely male, i am very sure about that. i allowed them to play together outside of their cages with a neutral play area where neither of them had been before, but they started fighting so i split them up and put them back in their own cages, i kept the cages about 3 inches away. then i tried again a couple of days later and they started to fight again. literally every time i would try to introduce them (which i did for a couple of months) they would fight every time. and their cages just being next to each other was causing Gonzo alot of stress so i separated the cages and kept them further away from each other. It is just that ever since i had Rizzo, Gonzo's personality has distinctively changed
can one chinchilla still become the dominant one even if their cages are further away from each others?

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 01:35:25 PM »

I honestly don't know what to make of that. Perhaps someone else can comment but I strongly suspect they are not compatible with each other and will have to kept separate. See if there's improvement in Gonzo if they put separate rooms. Sounds like an extreme case of aggressive chinchilla. Not eating can also be a symptom of other health disorders. Considering the change is sudden and unexplained you may want to have a vet exam and make sure it is not a health issue and try to rule out things like tooth problems. What is their diet?
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

amelia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 01:54:57 PM »

I honestly don't know what to make of that. Perhaps someone else can comment but I strongly suspect they are not compatible with each other and will have to kept separate. See if there's improvement in Gonzo if they put separate rooms. Sounds like an extreme case of aggressive chinchilla. Not eating can also be a symptom of other health disorders. Considering the change is sudden and unexplained you may want to have a vet exam and make sure it is not a health issue and try to rule out things like tooth problems. What is their diet?

it is tough. a relative of mine has agreed to adopt Rizzo as Gonzo and I were perfectly fine on our own and i have alot of time to spare to spend with him, and my relative has a lot of time for Rizzo too.
i have considered this, he has started to eat better than before.
i give him his pellets at 6.30 pm every night and he has hay too. barely any treats and if, on the occasion, i do give him a treat it is a plain shreddie or a raisin
i have checked any physical signs of illness and all seems okay. his weight is still the same and he looks physically well, his teeth are perfectly short enough since he has plenty of wood and mineral stones to grind down his teeth.
i may take him for a check up. and i will see if his behaviour does change when my relative comes to collect Rizzo (she only lives down the road so i will still see him!)
thank you so much for your help

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 03:43:20 PM »

That's good you are keeping track of his weight. Very good job! It would be so much easier if more people do this. I think your perception of his food consumption isn't matching the reality of it because if his weight is normal he is eating normally so it is not as urgent to get an exam. It is completely your call on that. I expect his behavior will change when the other chin is gone since his environment will have changed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up