Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla Wheel Broke please help  (Read 1151 times)

Dan50

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Chinchilla Wheel Broke please help
« on: June 06, 2015, 07:19:28 PM »

Chinchilla cage wheel broke, one of them. What can I replace it with??

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Chinchilla Wheel Broke please help
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 02:16:04 PM »

I recommend the Chin-spin, which is a 15 inch wheel with a solid running surface. This is the ideal chinchilla wheel in my opinion. Plastic wheels are no good as plastic can be chewed and ingested and can be deadly to your pets. Unfortunately these wheels are pricy but they are proven to be reliable. There may be good alternatives out there but I can't vouch for them.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Dan50

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 03:49:16 PM »

I'm not talking about the spinning wheel for exercise I meant the wheel for the cage at the very bottom as you can see in the photo

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 04:32:13 PM »

Sorry there does not appear to be any attachments. Is it a Ferret Nation/ Critter Nation cage?
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Dan50

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 06:27:53 PM »

Sorry there does not appear to be any attachments. Is it a Ferret Nation/ Critter Nation cage?

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 07:37:57 PM »

That is not a good cage for a chinchilla. I just read a review on it where a chin had chewed a large section of the plastic pan and then died. Bowel obstruction by plastic is a well known killer of chinchillas. Second worst case is they will chew through it and escape which is very common with chinchillas in such cages. Last person I know that had that happen had their disappear into their air ducts for a while. I recommend replacing the cage with an all metal cage ASAP.

I was unable to locate the manufacturer's website but you may wish to contact the vendor and ask about how to obtain parts and then sell the cage. The Ferret Nation is a good choice but only if you get aftermarket metal pans for it and do not use the plastic pans it comes with. There are other cages as well that are suitable for chinchillas.

kageri

• Appreciation points: 44
  • # of Chins: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 12:11:50 AM »

Shelves are best replaced with wood but you can cover plastic in fleece to make it difficult to chew and unlikely they will try.  It may take creativity though depending on your cage and your chinchillas.  Liner divers like to burrow in the fleece at any loose spot.  Some of my cages have narrow strips of ceramic floor tile down the edges with a couple bricks to weigh the system down so they can't pull up an inch of the fleece edge.  Ferret nations are some of the best cages for adult chins and need the least modification which makes the price a little better compared to modifying and replacing everything in a cheaper cage.  Critter nations are needed for baby chins but the increased horizontal bars are flimsy compared to ferret nations so if you are only having adults a ferret nation will hold up better.  I've got to fix my 3rd critter nation bar to come off the weld.  bassequipment.com sells the metal pans for those cages.  The plastic pans they come with are very easy to wrap in fleece though.  Some people online make fleece covers for the plastic floor and shelf pan that have a fancier design.  I just get enough cut off the bolt to fold in half and tuck around the pan with no modification to the fleece.
Pages: [1]   Go Up