Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: are these treats safe?  (Read 1762 times)

aprinceton

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
are these treats safe?
« on: May 21, 2015, 10:47:19 AM »

Hi,
I'm getting 2 chinchillas in about a month! I'm very excited. I've done a lot of researching on all their needs, and I think (I hope!) I'm ready to take care of them. (:
The only thing I wanted to be sure of was treats. There are a lot of conflicting opinions on treats. I know you should only feed them 1 or 2 small treats a day. Here's a list of what I'm planning on feeding my chinchilla for treats. Are they all safe?
Raisins (only occasionally, maybe once a week. I know they're high sugar.)
Oats (old-fashioned, not quick oats)
Rose hips
Cheerios? (I know some people say not to feed these, but other people do. Are they okay?)
Alfalfa hay (given small amounts like a treat with their regular timothy hay) or alfafa hay cubes
salt licks
Sunflower seeds (only about once a month since they are high fat)
Dried papaya
Craisins (instead of a raisin, not in addition to)
Dried pineapple

I've also heard they like toast, and cuttle bone (like for birds). Are these okay?
Thanks so much for your time! Do you know of any safe treats that I'm missing, too? (I know you can feed them dried herbs, but there's so many kinds you can give them and a bunch you can't so I find it a bit confusing!)

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: are these treats safe?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 11:58:27 AM »

Personally I usually don't give treats. Chins don't need them and unless you're taming a chin that doesn't like anyone I recommend leaving them to their normal diet. Otherwise unsweetened oats us ok, raisins is okay but controversial. I've fed oats, rose hips, cheerios, don't reccomend fruit but it's commonly given. Absolutely do not feed salt, toast or any kind of seeds or nuts including sunflower seeds. Cuttle bone is okay. I don't feed herbs but if you do consult with someone who actually does. Alfalfa is the safest and can be part of their regular diet in addition to timothy hay but probably isn't going to have the same effect as a piece of raisin. It is very common to feed a chin 2 raisins a day without problems. As always never feed treats to a sick or stressed chin. They have very sensitive digestive systems that if they are disrupted can have fatal results. Treat responsibly.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

aprinceton

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 12:16:55 PM »

Personally I usually don't give treats. Chins don't need them and unless you're taming a chin that doesn't like anyone I recommend leaving them to their normal diet. Otherwise unsweetened oats us ok, raisins is okay but controversial. I've fed oats, rose hips, cheerios, don't reccomend fruit but it's commonly given. Absolutely do not feed salt, toast or any kind of seeds or nuts including sunflower seeds. Cuttle bone is okay. I don't feed herbs but if you do consult with someone who actually does. Alfalfa is the safest and can be part of their regular diet in addition to timothy hay but probably isn't going to have the same effect as a piece of raisin. It is very common to feed a chin 2 raisins a day without problems. As always never feed treats to a sick or stressed chin. They have very sensitive digestive systems that if they are disrupted can have fatal results. Treat responsibly.
Thanks so much! I'm glad to hear 2 raisins a day are fine; the chinchillas in my classroom always get raisins after we clean their cage and I'm glad it's not unhealthy :D
I thought salt lick sounded kind of funny, but I heard chinchillas like them. That's why I checked on here, the internet can say some funky stuff! I heard of someone who fed her chins a sunflower seed once a month, but I won't feed it if it's dangerous.
Thanks again! I was so scared of feeding them something harmful just cause I read it was okay  :-\

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 01:00:52 PM »

I think the salt is more dangerous than a sunflower seed but fat in their diet should not be tolerated because their livers can take cumulative damage from it. Some of those things like a 1" square piece of toast or an almond can be used as remedies for certain ailments if you know how to use them but please don't feed them as treats. I also forgot to say I've fed raisins too but there are some people who think they are unacceptable because of the risk of certain molds that may grow on them and I can understand that. Apparently there have been deaths from that. I suppose my personal treat of choice would be 2-3 regular cheerios since the ingredients are fairly innocuous, not sugary, don't have a risk of mold if they are stored properly, and my chins really seem to like them. Like I said I really don't habitually feed treats. The best treat for a pet chinchilla is to interact with them every day. Eventually they'll start coming to you for scratches and head rubs.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

mb30

• Appreciation points: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 02:20:07 AM »

There are many people who say even raisins are bad.
It is an area of conflict.

I stick with rolled oats and rose hips along with various dry herbs and flowers.

Plantain is very good and can be given freely.
Birch leaves twice a week or so is good.
Echinacea is good.

Look up a place online called galens garden.
They specialize in healthy treats for chinchillas and rabbits and guinea pigs. Their selection will give you a better idea of what is safe and what isn't.

Stay away from anything sugary or, like grayrodent said, salty. No nuts ever.

I have recently bought some cactus flowers that they absolutely love.

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 11:36:51 AM »

Chinchillas dont need treats. They are given to make us owners happy. Think of your chin as a diabetic. No sugar anything. The raisin debate can get heated at times. I never give raisins to my chins. I have seen it cause bloat and death. The only 'treats' i offer are different types of hay and wood chews. Cherrios can be given (in the US) as an occasional treat. Do not feed papaya or pineapple. The more simple their diet is the more healthy your chin will be. How old are the chins you are getting? no treats at all should be offered until a chin is over 6 months old
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets

aprinceton

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 05:59:32 PM »

Chinchillas dont need treats. They are given to make us owners happy. Think of your chin as a diabetic. No sugar anything. The raisin debate can get heated at times. I never give raisins to my chins. I have seen it cause bloat and death. The only 'treats' i offer are different types of hay and wood chews. Cherrios can be given (in the US) as an occasional treat. Do not feed papaya or pineapple. The more simple their diet is the more healthy your chin will be. How old are the chins you are getting? no treats at all should be offered until a chin is over 6 months old
I guess I won't give them raisins or dried fruit!  ??? I'd rather not risk it. I will probably feed them oats, cheerios, and maybe some herbs occasionally, just to help train. One is 4 and one is 1 1/2, so treats would be fine  :::grins::
Pages: [1]   Go Up