Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help please chinchilla might be dying  (Read 2899 times)

pyndi

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Help please chinchilla might be dying
« on: May 13, 2015, 08:30:46 AM »

Hi everyone. I hope someone can give me some advice because I am so heartbroken right now. I can not sleep or eat much.
Here's the story.  About a week ago I noticed my chin was not eating well. I would give him treats by hand and he would take them but he really wouldn't eat on his own.
About 4 days ago I noticed wetness under his chin. Its not water and the fur was stiff.  I checked him out and did some research and decided to take him to the vet.
So I took him to the vet on Monday.  They gave him some gas and a shot of a pain killer and filed his bottom teeth down because they were a bit long but not too bad.  They sent me home with amoxicillin.  He was active the day I took him in and matter of fact running around the night before. 
The day after the dr visit he is lifeless.  When I even get my hands near him he starts to bark.  And when I pick him up he starts shaking.  I have to hand feed him food and water (he wont even drink).
And when I put him down he is all stumbling around just like he did after the gas wore off.
Is it possible he is still feeling the effects of the gas and medicine?  Can antibiotics do this to them. I am so worried. I tried calling the vet back but they are closed today.  I did call the vet yesterday and he said give it 2 days.  He was so chipper the day I took him in and he is completely the opposite the day after. What could be bothering him? I feel like he's dying. I feel he is suffering. Do you guys think I should get wait like the doc said to or should I take him somewhere else
Thanks for the advice

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Help please chinchilla might be dying
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 08:32:08 AM »

I'm sorry you're going through this. Unfortunately it does sound like there is a serious problem and here is some advice. I don't claim to be an expert or a veterinarian so take it for what it is.

You have not said anything about feeding a recovery diet such as critical care. If you have not been supplied with a recovery diet and have not been feeding this by syringe chances are your pet is starving and could be in very serious condition. So I'm going to assume this is the case just in case I don't hear back from you. If you have been feeding critical care according your vet's recommendations then I think it is more likely something else. That something else could be a number of chemical imbalances caused from not eating the right diet and could be caused by getting too much sugar (glucose imbalance) from treats which should never be given to a sick chinchilla. And it could a bad reaction to anesthesia which I know some chinchillas have had and have pulled out of and some do not.

Please do not keep your hopes up to high. Your pet is showing symptoms of actually dying at this point. If you have not been given such a recovery diet you may want to seek another veterinarian that is more competent.

Most veterinarians are not trained well when it comes to small animals like guinea pigs or chinchillas and finding an experienced vet is usually very difficult. These animals have very sensitive digestive systems that can be easily disrupted by antibiotics because they rely on a healthy microbial culture inside of the stomach and intestines that is killed off by medication. To get it back the intestines need to be flowing as regularly as possible. Dosing of antibiotics has to be very precise as well and administration of antibiotics and food should be as evenly spaced as possible. Never give antibiotics on an empty stomach.

Another thing to consider is that treats, especially if they are sugary, cause gas to build up in the bowels causing an obstruction and if bad enough can cause fatal damage. Avoid giving a sick chinchilla anything but hay, pellets, or a diet formulated for recovering herbivores.

Because you don't have access to a recovery diet you should mush up some pellets in water, maybe a tablespoon's worth, and see if your pet will eat it. If it does not eat when food is put into its mouth it's probably too late to save it and it will need intensive emergency veterinary care immediately if there is any hope. I doubt you have 2 days. You are probably dealing with starvation at this point. If there has been no fecal output in the last 24-48 hours you are dealing gastrointestinal stasis which goes along with that and you should try to find an emergency clinic to manage it because it probably will not reverse itself without treatment.

Antibiotics and pain can cause issues with digestion in addition to not eating from the original malocclusion. Improper diet can result in anorexia. Anorexia can cause some of these symptoms. Gas can also be an issue and simethecone (An over the counter medication used for gas in infants)  is the preferred measure. Add a couple of drops to the food for each feeding to help with this.  Malocclusion itself is usually permanent and will require regular filings of the teeth. Some owners will opt to have their pets euthanized once a diagnosis of malo has been made. I did this with my first chinchilla but depending on the cause and the amount of root elongation the malo can sometimes be managed for several years. My recommendation, if you really want to save your pet and can, is to take it to an emergency clinic today and get it put on intensive care. Second best is see if you can some food down and if that may resolve a glucose issue. Obtain critical care and dosing instructions today if possible.

Again I am sorry I don't better news for you. I hope it will work out regardless. Sometimes it does but usually when a pet is this far gone it takes a lot of work to get it out of trouble.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 08:35:39 AM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

pyndi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 08:40:12 AM »

Hey I am feeding him baby oatmeal with a bit of baby food because I could not find critical care where I live. I also have been wetting his normal food with a little bit of baby food so he is eating a bit. About 4 mm 3 times a day

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 09:44:02 AM »

Have x rays been done? Filling his teeth will do no good if the roots are over grown. He should be on pain meds for about a week after any dental work. Did your vet give you any or just the one injection? Baby food isn't the best. Critical care or recovery are the best choices if you can find them. Are you giving probiotics? When on a medication (or antibiotics) you always want to feed probiotics to help with the gut
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets

pyndi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 10:19:23 AM »

Have x rays been done? Filling his teeth will do no good if the roots are over grown. He should be on pain meds for about a week after any dental work. Did your vet give you any or just the one injection? Baby food isn't the best. Critical care or recovery are the best choices if you can find them. Are you giving probiotics? When on a medication (or antibiotics) you always want to feed probiotics to help with the gut

Yes I am giving him probiotics but the did not send him home with any meds they just told me to give him a little bit of baby asprin (seems odd)  But I just talked with another vet and she said since he isn't really pooping it could be his gut and that's not good. I am so freaking sick from this. Getting off work soon and taking him

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 01:26:24 PM »

Asprin shouldnt be given to chins as it can upset their stomach and cause ulcers. They should have sent metacam for discomfort. I could call them and ask for it. Its likely he isnt eating cause his mouth hurts. Amoxicillin isnt the best medication for teeth. Did they comment on how his roots look in the xrays?
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 02:38:08 PM »

If you have an x-ray feel free to send to me and I'll help you post it.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

pyndi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 11:36:07 AM »

My poor baby did pass away on Wednesday.  It was one of the hardest thing that I have ever gone through. Almost harder than some adults that have passed in my life. I picked him up and we have buried him in my mom's backyard in the country. He has such a nice spot. With shade and I am going to get him a nice hedge stone with his picture. The thing that stings the most is I was told by the new vet that the one vet on Monday did not treat him properly. The new vet said he should have never given him oral antibiotics and that he didn't even file his teeth down right. He filed the front two down to points but didn't touch the ones that were the worst that were in the back
RIP gizmo
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 11:40:16 AM by pyndi »

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2015, 01:51:10 PM »

I'm very sorry to hear that. Loosing a pet is never an easy thing especially one you deeply care about.

If you decide to obtain a new chinchilla please consult with us and we can help you find a good breeder. A reputable breeder will be very selective about their stock to minimize the risks of this kind of disease.

Diet is another very important topic to discuss as well. Oral antibiotics which can have their place in the treatment of chinchillas if properly used. It is great to have a vet that does not use oral antibiotics but it will more expensive to treat that way since you'll have to go in for multiple injections. Oral antibiotics are regularly used in the treatment of chinchillas but must be administered properly. Steps must be taken every day to minimize the side effects through the course of the medication. As you have found, so sadly, finding a good vet for exotic pets can be very difficult.
Pages: [1]   Go Up