Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Accidental ingestion  (Read 1097 times)

Rachael29

• Appreciation points: 4
  • # of Chins: 4
    • View Profile
Accidental ingestion
« on: May 06, 2015, 05:28:02 PM »

Ok my chinchilla coco has just ingested a part of my watch! Totally by accident. I was letting him sniff me and I heard him clanking looked at my watch and a part was missing! I'm worried sick! Please someone will he be ok???? it's the small part at the top of the watch at the mid day part. It's an ice watch the glow in the dark part I tried to attach a picture but it said the file was too big. Please help
Coco and Shadow. Onyx and Spyro <3

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Accidental ingestion
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 05:42:22 PM »

If in doubt discuss it with your vet. There is no way for me to know.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Rachael29

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 07:31:31 PM »

This is a picture of the watch the part is very small just really asking if anyone thinks it's small enough to pass in his poop or not? It's 2:30 in the morning here and no emergency vets I will call in the morning however I would sleep a bit easier maybe knowing something

Thanks

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 08:06:04 AM »

A picture doesn't really help. It doesn't give me a sense of scale or materials that were consumed. Here's my opinion (and I'm not a vet nor have I had any formal training in this area so take it for what it is) if it's smaller than a chinchilla dropping and round and soft plastic (most glow-in-the-dark plastics are) I think you might be okay. Although the colon is where the larger droppings are formed is larger in diameter than the preceding bowels intestines are very slippery and somewhat elastic. I can't tell you what the size limits are since the bowels are designed for fluid to flow through them and not solid objects which is why I think a vet consult might be good for you. They can instruct you on what to monitor for and manage the situation IF a problem may arise. In my layman opinion I would monitor for changes in behavior such as depression, and certainly watch the fecal output, food, and water intake carefully over the next 48 hours. If there is anything suspicious call the vet and have an x-ray done. If they find anything you'll have to make the judgement on how to treat it because that is going to be an internal problem. If it's any comfort to you my chinchillas have eaten plastic before (not that I've intentionally ever provided it for them) and have been fine. One chin ate a piece of rubber hose (probably the equivalent of a 1/4" section) that was part of his watering system that was improperly installed and was fine although I was pretty concerned. Another ate a piece of calcium tablet that I noticed in his droppings when I then determined it was unsafe without any problems. But I do know such things carry very real risk and the best thing to do is manage the risk as best as possible.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Rachael29

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 08:39:08 AM »

*update* took coco and onyx to the vet (onyx just for a check up)
They are both heathy and on a good diet and a healthy weight
The vet had a feel of cocos stomache she said she could feel something ridged and if it is the piece she feels it will pass as the part seems smaller than his droppings. There is no build up or gas so she thinks it will pass in the next 24hrs just told me to keep an eye on his in goings and out goings. It's funny how worried we get I was like a woman possessed last night but both are happy and healthy just need to make sure it passes  ::silly::  ::silly::
Thanks

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 10:38:50 AM »

Excellent. I think it will work out. (no pun intended!)
Pages: [1]   Go Up