Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Chinchilla Owner .... Few Questions  (Read 1304 times)

Rachael29

• Appreciation points: 4
  • # of Chins: 4
    • View Profile
New Chinchilla Owner .... Few Questions
« on: April 29, 2015, 08:09:36 AM »

Hi everyone
My Fiancé Ian and I picked up our new chinchillas on Saturday 25th April. we have a standard and a Med Tan both around a year both been with each other from 12 weeks old. now the standard is called onyx and the medium tan is coco.

we have read everywhere to leave them for a week to get used to everything new around them .... however we have let them out of the cage now several times and for the most part they have came out easily and explored the space and even went out of the room where their cage is (which we allow them to).

my first question would be that onyx doesn't seem to like my scent ... any time I let him sniff my hand he sniffs then backs into the corner ... he doesn't go on his back legs or make any threatening noises which I think is weird. Any suggestions?

Also would you say its better to have "play time" in the same room as their cage or make it a different room? just to see where everyone else has their play times

just to ask coco has let me scratch his chin, ears and even full body pet in his cage, although other times he wont and they wont come near us at play time to sniff just to jump from which is OK because i know its been less than a week and it takes time just wondering why does coco let me do it in the cage and not when hes out?

thanks for any help or advice you can give  :)

Coco and Shadow. Onyx and Spyro <3

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: New Chinchilla Owner .... Few Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 08:30:49 AM »

My advice is don't let them out of the cage for the next two weeks. Interact with them daily. Don't force yourself on them and over time they should warm up to you. Don't touch them with your hand but let them smell you and rub on your fingers unless they want that kind of attention. Just be still for a few minutes. Typically chinchillas are curious and will want to check you out.

You may want to do this in the evenings or early morning when they are fully awake as well. Chinchillas have their own way of doing things. Even my very tame pet, Kulu, who likes to cuddle, will not always come to me. Sometimes he'll jump onto my arm when I reach in and sometimes he is quite indifferent to me being there. My younger chinchilla is the same way and in some ways he is more tame than Kulu.

It takes about 2 weeks for relocation stress to subside. Chinchillas are typically shy animals and you have to go slow with them. Do not reach over them and do not make a lot of noise or fast motions. Once they more comfortable with you you'll be able to do more with them. Until then you have to be careful.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Rachael29

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 02:04:28 PM »

see whenever we open the cage door they come running down its not that we force them out, when they are out they like running around and they make happy squeaky noises (i looked the noises up just in case they were stress noises) they are happy enough in and out the cage - i cleaned them out (just sweeping out the poop from the shelf's  ::) ) and they were up sniffing, if they do seem happy enough would you still recommend not taking them out for 2 weeks? 

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 03:31:32 PM »

The reason I recommend that is because chinchillas typically are stressed during those two weeks and letting them out can contribute to skittish behavior. That is a rule of thumb and not all chinchillas are the same. The second reason is that it can interfere with the bonding process according to some sources. I don't completely understand why myself but I think the theory has to do with your pet's sense of routine and safety. Certainly these are your pets, no two pets are alike, so it is your call.

I also recommend spending as much time as you can in the same room as the cage and interact with them through the day.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Rachael29

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 07:37:06 PM »

so see because i have let them out of their cage, can what i have done so far be done over? and if so how would you recommend doing this? i would like the best start for our chins and if im going the wrong way about it i would like to fix it ... they were out tonight and onyx was on my shoulder (and head) which ive heard is a good thing and both of them seem to like running over my legs and such, however if i can back track with them and start right i would like to know :) thanks

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 07:09:15 AM »

Don't worry about it. I think both your pets are fairly tame to start with. That was only for that 2 week period while they are acclimating to their new environment or until they trust you enough to come to you and aren't acting afraid of your hands which typically happens less than a week after you obtain a new chinchilla. Some pets get extremely stressed to the point of acting unfriendly and aggressive which in your case obviously is not happening. Like I said not all chinchillas are alike.

As far as bonding goes that is a process that takes months and should see a lot of progress as you work with them inside and outside of the cage. The more time you spend in the same room with them the better.

Rachael29

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 04:27:16 PM »

see they are not acting hostile at all onyx is maybe a bit skittish but apart from that they are fine .... however onyx is mounting coco ive ready its called dominance mounting? he does it once and coco runs away then they are fine for 15-20 mins then he does it again, same thing a few times every play time is this normal between 2 males? Thanks

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 08:01:08 PM »

Yes that is normal as long as they aren't constantly after each other.
Pages: [1]   Go Up