Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bonded male chinchillas, mounting/fighting?  (Read 710 times)

CoconutBench

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
Bonded male chinchillas, mounting/fighting?
« on: April 17, 2015, 06:18:08 AM »

Hello,
We recently adopted a pair of 5 year old male chinchilla brothers who have been together since birth. We got them around a week ago and they seemed fine together when in the cage, and when out for playtime though there was a little mounting. Now every time we get them out they'll be fine for a while but eventually the larger one will start aggressively mounting the smaller one whilst he tries to run away. It's been getting more aggressive each time with last night's session resulting in growls and eventually a fur slip from the smaller chinchilla. When back in their cage they seem to be fine and sleep/sit next to each other often in confined spaces like their nest box/tunnel.
I was just wondering if this is normal in a new home/ if there's anything we can do or what the reason is. We're scared about them seriously injuring each other.
Thanks for any help.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Bonded male chinchillas, mounting/fighting?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 08:37:56 AM »

Is your water dispensing? Are your food levels good? Have there been changes in environment? Is there a menstruating female around?
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins
Re: Bonded male chinchillas, mounting/fighting?
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 04:12:07 PM »

I would keep them in the cage for a while till they fully settle into the new home. Stress can cause aggressive behavior. Are they in the same cage as before? If it is the same cage, that may be why they are not fighting since they already worked out who gets what sleeping spots and such. The fighting occurs only at play time? Does anything instigate it, such as one chin mounting another, dusting, treats...... Do you have multiple feed and water stations? Fighting can be due to stress or they may not like each other any more (which does happen from time to time). Do you have a spare cage just in case? If not i would get one to have on hand so if you need to separate them you are prepared.
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets
Pages: [1]   Go Up