Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: re-introducing chinchillas that have been apart for longer than a week  (Read 1251 times)

mb30

• Appreciation points: 36
    • View Profile

One of my chinchillas was very very ill a little over two weeks ago. She had closed pyrometra. To make a long story short she somehow responded immediately to the baytril and it sorted her out enough to get spayed.

She had very successful surgery and is recovering remarkably well. She is now off anti-biotics and pain killers and was given the okay by the vet after her second post-surgery visit.

Now I have to try to begin to re-introduce my two chins. They lived together for a couple years without incident.
The healthy girl is very territorial and was trying to bite the other chin through the bars.

Has anyone been through a re-introduction of chinchillas that have previously been together? Shall i just follow the normal introduction process?

I was going to start it today and put the cages side by side but far enough apart so they can't bite each other. I have decided to hold off for another few days though to allow the chin that just had surgery to recover even more. I don't want to stress her out anymore.

Does it matter how long i wait at this point? I don't think it will make a difference as they have already been apart for two weeks.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton

At this point I will recommend the two-week introduction method. Other methods use at your own risk. In these cases it will be the same as a new introduction. The good news is your pets have already proven they are compatible. I do recommend withholding recombining until you are certain everything is healed up and the infection has been completely eliminated. Stress from introduction can undo the progress you have made if there is any chance the infection has not been eliminated.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

mb30

• View Profile

Yeah that is what i was thinking.
Her wound is completely healed up on the outside but i think i'm even going to wait another week.

I thought for sure she was dying right before my eyes when i got home from my job. It's crazy that she has pulled through.

She is definitely a fighter. She is pretty much back to normal now and running and jumping just fine. We just need to get some weight back on her. She is eating and drinking just fine.
It was a scary experience.

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins

Just treat it as a normal introduction on a new chinchilla. Im glad you where able to safely fix her. You have a very good vet to diagnose that and have a successful surgery.
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets

mb30

• View Profile

Well the thing is...she has had two previous incidents in the last 9 months before this third one.

Both of those times there was discharge...thick white discharge. I noticed somehing wasn't right very early and she just had a week of baytril both times and she was fine.

This time though there were no warning signs that i caught. I spend quite a bit of time with them too. I came home from work and she was laying on the floor of the cage. She would stand up and walk like a dog...not hop like a chin. She couldn't even jump. She kept rolling on her side and everything. It was horrible.

The vet never did swabs or anything to check for pyrometra. I think judging by the last two incidences and then this she finally agreed that's what it was. The first time she said it was just a vaginal infection.

The second time i just got the baytril right away since she had discharge.

I feel bad because if i knew this was going to come back no matter what i would have had the surgery after the second time. I thought maybe she got sand in her or she was sitting on her own poop and the bacteria caused it.

Needless to say i'm just relieved that she made it through surgery.
She had an ultrasound and there was fluid in her uterus and they couldn't see one ovary because of it apparently.

I was very very scared on the morning of the surgery. I don't know the vet very well at all as i've only been to her once. She assured me she has been successful before though with this operation. I just had to trust her and luckily it all worked out.

She was actually surprised how well salem(the chin)recovered from antisthetic and overall.

Now i'm pretty worried i won't be able to get these two back togerher. The other chinchilla seems to have become very territorial. She won't even make noises for salem. I let salem out and she beeps nonstop as she runs around. Luna(the other chin)just watches her dead silent and bites the bars when salem m gets close. It's a bit disheartening.

Before this they got along so well. Salem definitely is lonely but i don't think luna is at all.

I might have to buy a baby for salem.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 11:57:32 AM by mb30 »

mb30

• View Profile

I am definitely having problems with bringing these two together again. It sucks because they were always very close.
Pages: [1]   Go Up