Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Male chin mounting another male chin  (Read 2102 times)

Herbert

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
Male chin mounting another male chin
« on: April 08, 2015, 05:13:56 AM »

I have two male chinchillas that I am slowly trying to get together in one big cage, I am putting them in a play pen together for about an hour a night.  I have been doing this for a few weeks now, well after the 3 week period before I even put them together outside of their cages.  I am wondering if the mounting will ever stop?  Frank always mounts Isaac, they are both male but I am wondering if maybe Frank does not know that Isaac is also a male? Does anyone have any advice? Should I stop Frank each time he does it? They also bite each other, does that ever stop, any advice on how to stop it?

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Male chin mounting another male chin
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 07:02:32 AM »

What do you mean they are biting each other? That sounds dangerous. How old are they? If they really are biting each other they should stay separate.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Herbert

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 07:57:57 AM »

One is 14 months the other is about 9 months.  I at least think they are biting, they don't make any sounds but they will get their face right into the others fur and when I've put my hand in between them to stop them I have felt teeth.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 08:29:04 AM »

I think you're okay. Chinchillas groom each other that way. If there is biting there will fur loss and much more drama. Sometimes there will be some fur slip during the introduction in normals circumstances as well.

I just went through an introduction myself for the first time and it is unnerving. I had a long conversation with someone who has done this many times just yesterday and had success after trying a couple of different things. I think you're good to put them together at this point. It will take several days before they settle down. Monitor their weight. I'll estimate you shouldn't see more than a 5% weight loss in either one otherwise you many need to separate them. There may be some weight loss. If one is guarding the food and water you may have to install a second food dish and possibly a second water bottle for a while.

They will chase and mount each other until they establish a dominance patter and routine. This is normal. They make squeak and make noises and you may seem some fur slip. If they get violent with each other it will have a completely different character, they'll be thrashing, cornering each other, very loud, and probably bleeding. In that case separate them immediately.

I recommend putting them together in the middle of the day and watching for the first couple of hours to make sure it doesn't turn into that kind of fighting. Measure their weights before hand and see what it looks like in a couple of days.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Herbert

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 11:33:16 AM »

How would you suggest I weight them? I am not sure about you but my chins HATE being picked up or handled, its hard enough to catch them to put them in the play pen I could imagine having them stay still long enough for me to weigh them lol

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 06:53:47 PM »

You can weigh them in a travel cage.

Herbert

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 04:31:59 PM »

I weighed them on Monday April 18 and again today and they lost about 30% of their body weight. What do I do? I have had two food dishes and two water bottles that have been in there since I put them both together a week ago yesterday And I always give them a large pile of grasses. Any ideas on what to do with that kinda weight loss?

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 05:24:33 PM »

That's pretty extreme. Separate them immediately. Make sure their weights increase steadily once they are separated or may need to intervene. I'm going to say these chins are not compatible and this kind of weight loss is dangerous. Sorry. Perhaps someone else can make a recommendation.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 07:25:05 PM »

Just keep them on their regular diet and keep them separate. I've read about incompatible chinchillas doing this and they can both waste to death. That is why I said 5% which would have my own threshold of safety. Make sure there is fecal output for both of them by tomorrow or you may take additional steps. I imagine it's not a food intake problem as much as it is physical exertion because they cannot establish a dominance order and neither one lets up.

Herbert

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 07:28:04 AM »

They are bothat pooping plenty and drinking lots of water.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 07:59:56 AM »

Okay good. I'm glad they're recovering.
Pages: [1]   Go Up