Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla with swollen, red finger  (Read 1029 times)

iSpi

Chinchilla with swollen, red finger
« on: April 06, 2015, 08:00:05 PM »

About 2 days ago I forgot to lock my chinchilla's cage that has a mom and her 6 month old daughter. Luckily they are okay, but my other chinchilla had her finger nipped by the mom chinchilla. It was minor, so I cleaned it with a cup of lukewarm water that had a tablespoon of salt in it. She is using her hand and doesn't seem to be in pain, but I know they can hide pain well. Her finger was scabbed, but now is only swollen and red. I'm afraid that she might have an abscess on her toe, and was wondering if there is a way to tell if it actually is one? After looking more into it I definitely want to see a vet tomorrow, but is there anything I can do now to make sure it is okay? It's not oozing, and it doesn't smell, but I think it's itchy and bothering her because she chewed most of the fur off that toe. If it is an abscess and it happened to bust open, how should I treat it until I can get to vet?

kageri

• Appreciation points: 44
  • # of Chins: 10
    • View Profile
Re: Chinchilla with swollen, red finger
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 12:06:34 AM »

It would be best to wait for the vet.  If it becomes necessary to clean it the best mix is betadine with warm water to a weak tea color and then apply to the foot.  Usually you squirt it in the wound or across an infection but it might work best to soak something in the solution and then hold it on the foot.  Betadine is nontoxic and does not sting.  Chlorhexadine can also be used.  Other non prescription antiseptics risk being toxic if ingested (most creams) or damaging to healthy tissue (alcohol or peroxide).  The vet should have better options and oral antibiotics will likely be required if it's infected since there isn't much surface area to open an abcess for cleaning.  Antibiotics are rough on chins.  You will need to pay extra attention to food and water intake, whether normal poop is coming out, give a probiotic, and be ready to treat for digestive problems.  I like to keep critical care on hand at all times for handfeeding if necessary.  Many experienced chinchilla vets now keep critical care available and it's good to ask because oxbow will not sell it directly to customers.  You have to go through a vet or an online veterinary supply. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up