Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rabbits and chinchillas  (Read 764 times)

norman300

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Rabbits and chinchillas
« on: March 30, 2015, 11:37:05 AM »

Hi i have being interested in chinchillas for a long time now but we unexpectedly got a rabbit and i keep the rabbit in my room now if i got 2 chinchillas or 1 i would have to keep hem in my room now the rabbit and chinchillas would never ever have contact but woud it be safe to keep them in my room together separate? also do i need a pair of chins or can they be single?    ::think::

kageri

• Appreciation points: 44
  • # of Chins: 10
    • View Profile
Re: Rabbits and chinchillas
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 01:35:36 PM »

I have rabbits and chins but we do not house them in the same room and nothing that has touched the rabbits in the past 24hrs (the lifespan outside the body of the worst respiratory illnesses) goes near the chins.  I don't know exactly what the risk level is but it's been years with no problems.  A lot of people keep guinea pigs and chins and guinea pigs can carry the same illness if they've been around rabbits themselves.  They never show symptoms though and it doesn't spread well without snotty noses or some other method of travel.  I would actually be more concerned with pet quality rabbits than breeding rabbits.  Breeders have to be careful to keep the lines healthy and resistant to falling ill when exposed at shows and by other breeders.  Many also practice a closed rabbitry once they get enough rabbits to establish their breeding program so nothing new that could be carrying a new strain or weak enough to succumb to illness is brought in to the rabbitry.
Pages: [1]   Go Up