Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dry feet?  (Read 1429 times)

Mannybilly1030

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
Dry feet?
« on: March 13, 2015, 03:12:56 PM »

I noticed one of my chins feet were cracked and little bit red and idk if he picks at his feet but there was a small scab on his right foot pad i did look for swelling but i cant tell if there swollen or not. I did rub some bag balm a couple days ago. What should i do? Chin probs after another. Im leaving school right now since im kinda worried for him to check again. There was a couple of times that his feet would crack and bleed but that stopped after i started cleaning twice a day instead lf once a day.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Dry feet?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 07:24:30 PM »

What kind of bedding are you using in your cage? Often people who use artificial bedding have these problems. It can also happen if you are dusting too frequently. What kind of diet are you feeding? Sometimes that can have an effect. Are there any signs of fur missing or anything going on besides the feet? Is the other chinchilla affected?
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Mannybilly1030

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 09:04:30 PM »

What kind of bedding are you using in your cage? Often people who use artificial bedding have these problems. It can also happen if you are dusting too frequently. What kind of diet are you feeding? Sometimes that can have an effect. Are there any signs of fur missing or anything going on besides the feet? Is the other chinchilla affected?

I use fleece, i was giving them there dust bath 2 a week and the times they had play time they would dust on there own. and im feeding them timothy hay from kmshayloft, oxbow pellets, and of course water. And no ts just his foot pads theres no fur missing anywhere. And its just him only. Btw i did rub some bag balm on earlier

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 06:42:41 AM »

I've heard that sometimes fleece can cause this as well by exposing the animals to urine on hard surfaces. Perhaps someone who uses fleece can comment on how to solve this. Otherwise I recommend switching to kiln-dried white pine bedding and I expect your situation will improve in a couple of weeks.
Everything else looks good. Diet is good, dust bath intervals are good (just limit it to 15 minutes per dust bath). This is a known issue with chinchillas that are in contact with urine.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Mannybilly1030

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 10:22:54 AM »

I've heard that sometimes fleece can cause this as well by exposing the animals to urine on hard surfaces. Perhaps someone who uses fleece can comment on how to solve this. Otherwise I recommend switching to kiln-dried white pine bedding and I expect your situation will improve in a couple of weeks.
Everything else looks good. Diet is good, dust bath intervals are good (just limit it to 15 minutes per dust bath). This is a known issue with chinchillas that are in contact with urine.

Yea thats what i thought on doing too, for now until the irritation on his feet starts to minimize i put this pillow cover that has about 4 layers to soften his feet. And i have to clean off the ledges in his cage because he has a habit of peeing on them so later today i have to do that but all his ledges are covered up with those pillow cases. And i switched out his fleece and cleaned the pan so no lingering pee gets into the new fleece set

In a month or so im ordering about 20 new shelfs to replace the current ones because i know with chachi peeing on them they will eventally begin to rot
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 10:30:46 AM by Mannybilly1030 »

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 11:15:52 AM »

If you get rid of the fleece your pets will be less likely to urinate on the shelves. In the meantime you may want to turn the shelves over so they won't smell the scent and be tempted to relieve themselves there.

Mannybilly1030

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 10:57:15 PM »

If you get rid of the fleece your pets will be less likely to urinate on the shelves. In the meantime you may want to turn the shelves over so they won't smell the scent and be tempted to relieve themselves there.

Chachis feet has improved but still a little cracked but im most likely switching fleece soon.

I have another off topic question i think one of my other chins hit his nose because he has 2 small scabs on his nose and since i got home i noticed that and like his nose is making a whistling noise he has no discharge or no sneezing hes been super healthy no problems earlier today he didnt have both the red scratcheds or nose whistling and i know noise when breathing indicates uri. I did give him a dust bath yesterday. Hes had a nose whistle problem before i think 4 months after i had got him and out of nowhere the noise stopped so idk if its a patterned thing when he takes a dust bath. Like i said hes eating like he should and bouncing around, wanting to bite me like he usually does to test me and pokes his nose out of the cage to tell me that hes craving his herbal supplement.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 11:16:58 PM by Mannybilly1030 »

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 07:48:00 AM »

I recommend you have your pet examined by a vet. If it is a URI its health can decline very quickly and it can spread to your other chin. You need to get that diagnosed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up