Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: baby chinchilla has eye boogers  (Read 2905 times)

Mannybilly1030

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
baby chinchilla has eye boogers
« on: February 26, 2015, 12:22:55 AM »

the first day I brought him home he had no eye boogers, but the first time he got a dust bath I noticed after he has had constant eye boogers. he eats his pellet food like a chinchilla should, he chews on toys well so I don't think theres no malo, he doesn't drool from his mouth its just those eye boogers. my 2 other chins eyes that don't have eye boogers look exactly the same as chico's but chico has the eye boogers. I don't know what to do and the vet office I go that sees chinchillas wont be open again after construction is done  :( and the vet doesn't come to peoples houses anymore so idk what to think, he also does eat hay and drink water so nothing wrong there, his teeth aren't long. could it be the dust? and the dust that flys in his cage irritating his eyes? I felt for bumps on his jaw line and check bones and felt nothing ,which I heard from a homeopathic exotic animal doctor by my aunts house in Tarzana but she told me if you feel nothing then the teeth and molar should be ok. so idk what to think now. theres no wetness around his eyes just the eye boogers
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 12:28:07 AM by Mannybilly1030 »

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: baby chinchilla has eye boogers
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 07:19:45 AM »

How long has this been happening? How bad is it? Is it both eyes or just one eye? What kind of dust are you using? Are both pets effected?
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 08:24:22 AM »

How old is the chin? What kind of dust are you using? What color are the eye boggers? Have you weighed them to see if there is any loss or gains? Have you contacted the breeder you got him from? A vet visit is best in these situations. Eyes scar very easily so quick action is best to assure that there is no long term damage. Feeling for bumps on the jaw doesnt rule out malo. By the time you would feel bumps the malo would he severely advanced. I would get a smear done to check for a infection and go from there.
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets

Mannybilly1030

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 05:32:00 PM »

How long has this been happening? How bad is it? Is it both eyes or just one eye? What kind of dust are you using? Are both pets effected?

Its been like that for 3 days, doesnt look bad, both eyes, im using anti-fungal dust with regular blue Cloud dust. But i woke up in the morning and there was none so i think it was just a passing

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 05:33:59 PM »

How long have you been using antifungal dust? Is there are good reason to do this? Is it true that both pets were affected?
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Mannybilly1030

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 05:35:53 PM »

How old is the chin? What kind of dust are you using? What color are the eye boggers? Have you weighed them to see if there is any loss or gains? Have you contacted the breeder you got him from? A vet visit is best in these situations. Eyes scar very easily so quick action is best to assure that there is no long term damage. Feeling for bumps on the jaw doesnt rule out malo. By the time you would feel bumps the malo would he severely advanced. I would get a smear done to check for a infection and go from there.

The breeder said the parents and the baby had very good teeth theres no over grown teeth or roots. The parents came from a 100% no genetic Malo Breeder but the eye boogers are no more when i woke up today and my dad said  about 30 minutes ago no eye boogers or watery chin

Mannybilly1030

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 05:38:52 PM »

How long have you been using antifungal dust? Is there are good reason to do this? Is it true that both pets were affected?

My chin chachi had started having itching and his whiskers would break off but after giving this dust all that stopped, but i use a little bit as a preventative, my other chins werent affected

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 07:29:53 PM »

If they're clear now I wouldn't worry about it. If they're not clear you want to have them checked. From what most people seem to experience with mild eye irritation is that it heals up on its own after 2-3 days. My chinchilla also had that and was no exception.

kageri

• Appreciation points: 44
  • # of Chins: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 08:34:03 PM »

Blue cloud irritates some chinchillas.  For some just limiting dust bathes to only when needed works and some people use Kaytee dust instead.  Which is pretty much the only kaytee product i would ever suggest but supposedly it works quite well compared to other dusts in the US.

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 07:25:58 AM »

If it continues getting a smear done to check for an infection is your best choice
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets
Pages: [1]   Go Up