Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking to breed male chinchilla (western WA)  (Read 2482 times)

Rodneylover908

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Looking to breed male chinchilla (western WA)
« on: February 25, 2015, 12:22:27 PM »

I have a two year old chinchilla named Rodney. He's never been bred but i think now is a good time to start because he is starting to think I'm his cage mate and will start barking and making whining noises if i remove the cage from my boyfriend and I's room. He is fit and healthy and located in Western WA near Seattle please let me know if interested. I have never bred before and interested in someone who is experienced. Thank YOU!

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Looking to breed male chinchilla (western WA)
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 01:20:01 PM »

Do you have a pedigree or would be able to obtain one from the breeder you obtained him from? If your breeder does not keep records chances are this is not a chinchilla you want to breed.
Chinchillas should not be moved around. They need a calm and stable environment to thrive. Your cage should stay in one place in the house and be a fairly consistent temperature. Moving the cage from place to place can put extreme stress on your pet resulting in behavioral problems and even sickness and death. It's fine to have them out to play but chinchillas are territorial about their cage regardless of they are breeding or not.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 06:05:06 PM »

If your chinchilla doesn't have a pedigree then he shouldn't be bred. His behavior is normal. He just wants your attention. You should be complimented.  Are you prepared to cage another chin till they get along? Can you hand feed a kit every 2hours if the females milk doesnt come in? Can you afford 800 for a emergency vet visit? Is your cage baby proof? Same sex chins get along quite well. Have you considered getting him a male buddy? Or a wheel? Even with a friend your chin may not want a cage mate. They could fight and some chins take months to get along. There is a lot more thought that needs to go into getting a second chin.
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets

Rodneylover908

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 10:09:37 AM »

He's a rescue chin so all i know is what the vet told me. He does good with other male chins and thanks for telling me all this stuff I just want to get him someone to be happy with and to not be so lonely. I'll rethink the breeding i have the ability to take care of the chins it's just I want an experienced breeder with a female chin just so I'm not the only one freaking out about this. But thanks!!!

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 11:18:27 AM »

Please do not ever breed a rescue chin. You don't know what kind of genetic problems they may pass down. If you really wish to breed please obtain all of the knowledge you can prior to obtaining pedigreed chinchillas from reputable lines. Your pet will do just fine on its own. Chinchillas do not have to be paired to thrive.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

kageri

• Appreciation points: 44
  • # of Chins: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 12:58:27 PM »

Even if you knew the necessary info about him you can't just stud out a chin.  They take weeks if not a month or more to introduce.  Then it is very stressful to separate them again.  You never know exactly when they breed.  It's not like my rabbits where I pop a female in with a male and watch for him to breed her hopefully at least 3 times before putting her back in her own cage.  If you are watching the chins all day, every day you might see the male try to breed the female.  You'll never know if it did happen until kits appear.  It's a complicated process with chins.  The risk of death is also fairly high because of how developed their offspring come out.  Although it is better than guinea pigs because the kits are not as bulky.  It's still a serious risk you'll lose the female or the kits.  There's no reason to put a female through that for non-pedigreed kits.

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 07:30:00 AM »

You can't stud out a male chin. They don't work that way. Leave him as a single chin or get him a male buddy. He does not need to have a female. There are many genetic things your chin may carry that you and a vet can not tell. Malo, heart murmurs, kidney failure, seizures... are just a few. He may never show signs but you don't know what his parents had since he is a rescue. Do not breed him.
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets
Pages: [1]   Go Up