Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchillas constantly fighting  (Read 988 times)

mojito

• Appreciation points: 10
  • # of Chins: 2
  • chinchillin'
    • View Profile
Chinchillas constantly fighting
« on: February 19, 2015, 10:15:31 PM »

So for the past several days my 2 males have been fighting sometimes, and other times cuddling. They do fight at night because I hear them and one is usually cornered so we try to talk to them and it usually seems to help, but its the worst during playtime. Skillet (the chin that's being aggressive) will chase Dexter around and they will usually stand up and face either other by the end until I intervene or one runs off. Now if Skillet comes out to playtime, my other one will just run and not want to play with him, sometimes even hiding in the igloo.
Like today, Dexter is out chewing on some sticks outside the cage. Skillet flies out and starts just running around (not even directly at Dexter even) and Dexter just runs off or goes in an igloo. I'm not sure if skillet, who doesn't come out but more than about half of the time I open up the cage, is trying to play with dexter and just freaks him out or what.
This has happened before where they fought and then in the morning they were cuddling, it just seems to be prolonged this time. Still, for the most part in the cage (with few exceptions at night, maybe once every other night but they also fight for a corner spot some nights so it's hard to tell) they are fine toward each other, even squeaking at each other constantly. I give them tv at night, plenty of hay, food (separate bowls on either side of the cage), and plenty of sticks and other toys. They have a flying saucer as well, but only Dexter uses it as skillets front paw was messed up as a baby.
Also, no blood has been shed. And I have separated them before for just a few minutes and it seemed to not help as both of them then seemed to become a bit stressed out and wanted to be back together, but that was last time this happened. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

kageri

• Appreciation points: 44
  • # of Chins: 10
    • View Profile
Re: Chinchillas constantly fighting
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 10:58:08 PM »

How old are they?  It might just be a teenage chinchilla stage.  They often challenge each other for dominance when they start to reach sexual maturity.  It could also be them settling in to their surroundings and now determining who is boss in the cage.  If you see any pulled fur in the cage, you won't notice it on the chin unless it's really bad, or weight loss (preferably weigh weekly on a kitchen or postal scale) they will need separated but if they act more upset apart and keep sitting together at times then it might be best to see if you can wait it out.  Chinchillas are social enough they might not eat as well if suddenly housed alone and that can lead to health issues quick if it becomes too extreme.  Usually they won't take it that far but if they aren't doing each other any real harm with no actual biting and the one being chased the most still feeling safe to eat his fill I don't think it's necessary to separate them.

I would offer multiple hiding places to be sure and if you are using a plastic igloo it is not suitable.  No plastic should be used aside from some exceptions that are made for very hard stuff like pvc tubes.  Even those should be removed if they are getting too much off them.  Chins eventually eat plastic.  It may take days, weeks, months, or even years but some day they nearly always decide to chew the plastic item and it can mean death in that one sudden evening or early morning chewing desire.  They very frequently ingest what they chew unlike many other rodents.  All items should be wood, metal, or covered in safe fabric like fleece.  No fabric with threads should be within reach.

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 11:34:36 AM »

How old are they? Do you have more than one water bottle and food station? Has there been any fur pulled out? Occasionally pairs will fight for no reason and need to be separated. How long have they been together? Keep a closer eye on them and offer a few extra spots to hide and extra food areas. Make sure to weigh as well. Weight loss can be a sign of bullying and they may need to be kept apart if that is the case.
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets

mojito

• chinchillin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 10:51:23 PM »

They have been together almost 3 years. This has happened before, but I cannot remember a time where it has gone on this long. They have very opposite personalities. Dexter is very playful and adventurous, while Skillet is more cautious and doesn't play as much. Dexter is 3 years old and Skillet will be 4 in May. They have an  igloo at the bottom of the cage as well as a log, and they have their "main" igloo on the upper shelves (where they sleep together every night, even after they fight during playtime). We don't and have never had a problem with them chewing on the plastic igloos, although we do have a wooden hut as well.
I have one water bottle but they have never fought anywhere near the water (only on the upper shelves and when they are out of the cage). I have two separate food bowls, and each of them know where their food is (they have chosen sides and don't normally switch while its "dinnertime"). No weight loss, just seeing Dexter stress during playtime when he normally never does bothers me, as well as Skillet stressing out sometimes as well. We really just have a hard time figuring out if Skillet is trying to play with Dexter and is being too aggressive or if there is something else. Like I said this has happened before but it only lasted a day or two before it stopped on its own so I'm not sure what's wrong :(

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 04:16:08 PM »

They can just decide to not like each other. It happens with chins sometimes. If you have any doubts, it's safer to separate than wait for one to get seriously hurt
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets

mojito

• chinchillin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 06:00:24 AM »

Thank you. We tried separating again during playtime and that seemed to make them realize they do get along! Strange, they are just like children :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up