Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good afternoon.. Just wondering.  (Read 667 times)

Turbo_Nitro_TheChinchilla

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
Good afternoon.. Just wondering.
« on: February 15, 2015, 02:24:08 PM »

Hello everyone.

We have 2 chinchillas, both male,  (standart grey - Turbo 6month and 7 day's old and mosaic-Nitro, 6month and 3 day's old) Nearly the same age but from different owners.

Why I am typing this. Standart gray - Turbo came in to our family first, he's very fun, coming to us for a treat and being very communicable with us, not scared etc. Then, a bit later Nitro(The mosaic chinchilla) came in to our family and he's completely different. He's scared of our every movement, doesn't come forward in cage and always runs for his life to all back of the cage,. they both live in the same cage since 5th day of Nitro moving in and are completely fine with each other.

Is there anything we can do, to improve his behavior when it's about us, humans?

Thank you in advance.
Inga.

Tiffany's Chinchillas

• Tiffany's Chinchillas
  • Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 3
  • # of Chins: 175+
    • View Profile
    • Tiffany's Chinchillas
Re: Good afternoon.. Just wondering.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 02:49:56 PM »

Each chinchilla has a different personality. Some are more easy going than others.

I normally suggest taking the particular chinchilla out and putting him in a small area where you can sit down with him. Don't force the animal to come to you.. maybe give a small treat to see if he will learn to come to you. Talk to him, play music so he can get used to the human voice. It takes quiet a bit of time, but forcing yourself on him normally doesn't work. Let him jump onto you and smell you, figure out who you are and try it maybe once a day. Don't expect it to happen overnight though. Good luck.
Tiffany's Chinchillas
Breeding for Quality, not Quantity
www.tiffanyschinchillas.com

mojito

• Appreciation points: 10
  • # of Chins: 2
  • chinchillin'
    • View Profile
Re: Good afternoon.. Just wondering.
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 10:58:17 PM »

Like Tiffany's Chinchillas said, every chin is different. Reading your post really made me feel like I was reading about my own chinchillas. Dexter is much more adventurous and will always come out to play, while Skillet is WAY more cautious and will run back to the cage if theres any noise that he isn't sure about..including the train he hears twice a day every day haha. I think as long as they are getting along it will be fine, Skillet didn't completely open up to us until almost a year later! He really opened up to me about 4-5 months after I got him, but after I moved in with my boyfriend it was back to square one for my boyfriend, but now Skillet is really showing how comfortable he is, actually more comfortable than I've ever seen him!
I have and still do constantly talk to him, sing to him, or really give them any kind of attention I think theyll respond to all the time. Skillet seems to like it so when I talk to him for a while he'll come out and interact with me. That would be something I would try, just talking to them. It may take a while because they trust over time, but it will definitely be worth it in the end :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up