Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: a little tov white  (Read 2092 times)

kageri

• Appreciation points: 44
  • # of Chins: 10
    • View Profile
a little tov white
« on: January 30, 2015, 04:46:10 PM »

Checking cages yesterday and we wondered why Katsu came flying at the door.  Then my husband saw movement.  His mate had a kit early.  With Katsu hurling insults at my husband we got his new daughter out and weighed her at 40grams.  Nice healthy kit and she sure can run away from the camera.   rofl

No chinchillas here

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: a little tov white
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 05:29:22 PM »

That's awesome. I am looking forward to seeing how its coat turns out.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

kageri

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 02:35:16 AM »

Squirt is gaining 4 grams a day.  She feels a lot more squishy from the flesh she's putting on and her coat fluffing up.  I really think our experiments of raising kits in fully decked out cages instead of sterile, empty breeding cages is working out well.  We've had faster weight gain, the previous one gained 6 grams a day, and more athletic kits.  We think part of it is how happy the parents are.  That was the biggest thing we noticed when we were emptying cages before kits were born.  The females get bored and start doing repetitive behavior in their cages even with stuff to chew on.  They also risked falling outs with their mates and that is no longer happening.  Couples happily stay together in good condition with healthier kits.  I think our attempt to make an empty cage so it's safe for kits caused a permanent fur chewing problem with the mother of our first litter.  We've tried the past year and we can't break her of it.  :(

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 07:56:11 AM »

That's good information. Thanks for sharing.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

kageri

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 02:01:57 AM »

I have named her Tsubura.  It's so hard to keep the camera from washing her out.  The velvet and white are also fighting over her colored areas.  There will be stripes or chunks with dark tips and then other areas are creamy grey.

I will have to put up our new cage design.  We put some cn cages together so we have 2x6x2' horizontal spaces.  I know vertical is usually desired but I think they prefer more space over just vertical space.  Get past 2' above the floor pan and space is difficult to use efficiently since it often requires stair step type designs to the top.  Now they have 2x6' plus 8" wide shelves as a second level.  The cage can also be turned in to 4 critter nation sections in a square by taking out floor panels or putting in cut out pans on the top.  I might attempt colony breeding with a trio in the full cage system but I need more cn for pairs.  I have open fn cages sitting around but most are paired up for breeding so they need the small bar space.

Tsubura loves the horizontal cage and I think many people would be shocked at what a 1 week old chinchilla can do.  She can easily jump 8" high and probably a fair amount more.  Anything higher and she can climb part of it if it's against the cage wire.  She just boings from the inside of the house to the top of the 8" house, over the dividing board to fill the gap between the pans for each cage section, and up to the mounted house near the roof of the 2' h cage.  Usually with plenty of cute squeaking in the process.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 06:21:17 PM »

That's great. I'm glad your new chin is thriving.
Pages: [1]   Go Up