Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My chin has a weird humping issue help!!  (Read 4379 times)

Rodneylover908

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
My chin has a weird humping issue help!!
« on: January 29, 2015, 09:22:15 AM »

My chinchilla Rodney has this thing where he only likes to hump my arm and its gotten to the point where he will actually ejaculate when he latches on to my arm. He's about 2. I live with my boyfriend and my boyfriend is afraid of Rodney because Rodney will try to bite him and will be aggressive towards him if my boyfriend places his hand in Rodney's cage. Why is Rodney acting like this? He never use too its started recently as in this month and I'm worried. PLEASE HELP.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: My chin has a weird humping issue help!!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 09:47:32 AM »

Chinchillas pick up on women's natural cycles. It doesn't take much to set them off so consider that as a possible factor. Some women have reported that using a different soap for bathing helps. Chinchillas also have their own cycles even males. Certain pets are just bad about this and there isn't much you can do.

Sexual maturity in chinchillas usually less than one year but for some it does take longer. As far as things that changed to have caused this you'll have to take inventory to take a guess at it. Could be a number of things including schedule, diet, other pets in the house, change in personal care products, or just your pet getting older.

My chinchilla is also male and occasionally he'll get randy when I handle him. Sometimes it gets bad if I'm not paying attention. I just try to prevent him from positioning himself to do what he wants when he gets like that.
Try to focus your touch to his head and chin area and don't stroke or press along his back when you pet him. If you have to just flip him over on his back or dangle him by the base of his tail for a few seconds which should distract him from it.

My pet is also is territorial of my room and doesn't like anyone but me near his cage. He is so tame that he won't actually harm anyone although he'll put on a show. It makes it worse that his cage is right next to where I work so he thinks I'm his cagemate perhaps.

I recommend your bf handle him in a room that is not where his cage is and do that whenever possible. Then after a few days or weeks of this he should go into the cage and be assertive. First make sure there is nothing in your pet's cage that can be hidden under or behind. He needs to take the chin out of the cage no matter what. By backing off this will reinforce the aggressive behavior. Chinchillas tend to be territorial of their cage and may bite if you don't act quickly and intentionally to get them out. Use gloves if you have to. After doing this a few times I expect the behavior will improve. I had a similar experience with my previous pet and this worked.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 09:49:28 AM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Jasonred79

• Appreciation points: 24
  • human belonging to Popsicle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 02:21:42 AM »

Popsicle is weird. He seems to have picked up this humping thing... but he actually knows he shouldn't. Sometimes when resting on my arm, he'll get an erection and start humping, but then he'll stop, look a bit guilty, and then he sticks his penis in his mouth and nibbles it until his erection subsides.
He's only once lost self control and humped my hand to ejaculation.
I sort of feel sorry for him and feel maybe it's my fault for not getting him a wife/ girlfriend, so he has to rely on self release... my own teenage years come to mind...

Rodneylover908

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 10:19:29 AM »

Popsicle is weird. He seems to have picked up this humping thing... but he actually knows he shouldn't. Sometimes when resting on my arm, he'll get an erection and start humping, but then he'll stop, look a bit guilty, and then he sticks his penis in his mouth and nibbles it until his erection subsides.
He's only once lost self control and humped my hand to ejaculation.
I sort of feel sorry for him and feel maybe it's my fault for not getting him a wife/ girlfriend, so he has to rely on self release... my own teenage years come to mind...
This is what Rodney does!!! Except hes not guilty he just keeps doing it even when I tell him no and put him back in his cage!

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 11:19:39 AM »

Yeah I think that's fairly normal behavior for male chinchillas. Stroking them down the back can cause that.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 07:23:53 AM »

That is very normal behavior. They don't need a cage mate cause of it. You can get him a small stuffed animal as a friend to cuddle with. Sometimes that will help the behavior. In some cases they like the way you smell, or your hormones at a certain time of the month. Just like any teenager it doesn't take much to get them excited.
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets

Rodneylover908

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 11:25:52 AM »

That is very normal behavior. They don't need a cage mate cause of it. You can get him a small stuffed animal as a friend to cuddle with. Sometimes that will help the behavior. In some cases they like the way you smell, or your hormones at a certain time of the month. Just like any teenager it doesn't take much to get them excited.
Except due to circumstances i don't get times of the month nor do i stroke his back. he refuses to touch stuffed animals and Ive put a small towel in there for him and he ignores it completely. I'm flattered because Ive been told this is a sign he loves me or something but i want to help with his humping because now he wont let anyone but me touch him and when i go to touch or pick him up he automatically goes to hump my hand/arm.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 04:49:01 PM »

I don't think you have anything to worry over. This does not point towards a health issue or anything like that. It is a behavioral problem and I know of others who go through this as well. Some animals are more geared toward this than others.

My own pet would probably be worse than he is if I didn't work with him and just distract him and play with him anyway while not allowing him to lay flat on my arm or let him assume a position that may propagate that kind of behavior. You can always gently pick up a chinchilla by the base of the tail and sometimes that move will help you to react quickly and safely.

Most chinchillas do get attached to one person, especially if they are not socialized with other family members on a regular basis. I do recommend, if you can, to have others handle him as well, and try to get him socialized (of course in a gentle and controlled manner). That may also help.

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 06:23:41 PM »

I have thankfully never had to deal with that but many people have...getting him a mate would only increase the frequency not change the situation for the better just push him away when he attempts to mount your arm be consistent and eventually he will get the idea
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up