Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: introducing chinchillas HELP PLEASE!  (Read 1111 times)

Chef Amanda

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
introducing chinchillas HELP PLEASE!
« on: January 27, 2015, 08:55:41 PM »

Hi, I have a question about introducing new chinchillas. I have a 3 year old female standard grey, I've had her since she was a month old, and just brought home a white female yesterday, because I work a lot and didn't want her to be lonely, as I've read chins prefer to be in pairs. I've been reading on how to introduce them, since their first meet was on neutral ground and they were fine, but as soon as I brought them home, my chin became very aggressive and tries to attack the new girl. No serious biting yet, but I pulled them apart before that could happen, my chin just jumps on the new one and pulls her fur out. So far, I've had the cage blocked off in between, one on top and one on bottom. Then today I let them out one at a time, so they could go back and sniff the other at their own pace, through the cage. I also switched them around, trying to get my girl used to the new girls scent, and have given them both a couple baths in the same dust. I ordered a new cage, so they'll have a clean slate and it's not anyone's territory. It should come in tomorrow, but I wonder if I should move them both into it right away, keeping them initially separated like I have them now? Or wait until they get along to move them to the new cage. Also, I'm worried if my girl sees me trying to bond with the new one, she'll get really upset. Right now, today since she's on the bottom section of the cage, she has been barking at me when I sit next to the cage, though she seems to calms slightly if I pet her and she isn't biting me. However, I'm also worried if I don't bond with the new one, she will never trust me, and maybe won't ever bond with my girl. I've also read putting cinnamon or vanilla on their noses sometimes helps to block their scents from each other. Is that a good idea? I'm worried I've already screwed up the process by putting them both in my girls cage on the first day, because I didn't have another cage and they seemed to be fine before we got home. My chin even chases the other when they're both out running free in my apartment. What should I do?

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: introducing chinchillas HELP PLEASE!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 09:23:51 PM »

The process should start with two separate cage setups. Put one no closer than 2" from the other and just wait two weeks (at minimum). I don't think you really hurt the process any since they barely know each other. I'm grateful neither was injured.

They should get used to each other and then you can try to dust bathe them together. If they pass that test you can try to combine them. Female chinchillas are more difficult to do this with. A chinchilla that is used to being alone typically prefers to stay alone. Hope for the best but be prepared to keep them housed separately.

I just answered this question a couple of times this week on how to introduce chinchillas. Please see this post:
http://www.chinchillaclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,4775.msg34490.html#msg34490

Also we have this permanent post here:
http://www.chinchillaclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,4000.0.html
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 09:25:28 PM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Chef Amanda

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 10:30:59 PM »

I don't have a second cage, only the new big one I just ordered, which I planned to transfer them to, since it's new and won't be a territory issue. Should I put the new one in the new cage for now and leave the old one in the old cage? I've also read you should permanently place both in the more dominant ones cage, but that's the older cage that I plan to get rid of.

mb30

• Appreciation points: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 06:02:14 AM »

You can't put two strange chins together right away. They need to be in different cages. The whole introduction process can take a loooong time
It may not work at all sometimes.

Just google chinchilla introductions. It is a long process. There is a wealth of information about it on the web.

kageri

• Appreciation points: 44
  • # of Chins: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 09:25:06 PM »

If you ordered a new cage then doesn't that mean you have 2 because of the old one?   ::shrug::  Thus you have 2 cages to put next to each other for intros.  Otherwise just go grab a solid bottom guinea pig cage and put it on a table or something so it's the height of the other cage.  It works for temporary, especially with young ones, and as an emergency cage in the future.  Make sure they have plenty to do and get out to run until they are back in a big cage. 

This is when we brought Keck home

She now lives in a 3 section high critter nation with Sakura and since they are so closely bonded we're going to try to do a breeding trio with a tan male one of my pairs had.  I'm thinking when he turns 12 weeks to take him from his parents and start the intro process.

I have done intros without 2 suitable cages to set next to each other.  We used a wire sided carrier and a neutral small room.  Let one run around and one in the cage, then swap, and repeat for a week or 2 depending how they are acting before letting them run together.  You have to be careful paws and noses do not get nipped through bars so aside from small bar spacing if they are seeming aggressive toward each other this method will not work.  It is best for young chins and mixed gender pairings.  I'd be very cautious trying to mix 2 adults of the same gender without a separation of a few inches between them for awhile.
Pages: [1]   Go Up