Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla breeders in Southern California?  (Read 1637 times)

Mannybilly1030

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
Chinchilla breeders in Southern California?
« on: January 24, 2015, 06:35:48 PM »

Ive been looking for a Breeder, Rescue to Pick up another Chin for the Family. But i Have no luck! Ive tried rhe San Diego Humane Society that rescued about 400 chins and they have none. I dont know where to look. I dont Trust Craigslist or Kijiji. I dont want to go to Petco near me since the lady that knew and had chins herself transfered to another petco. And the petsmarts treat there animals like a door mat. If anyone lives in the southern area of california and knows of breeders around the area please let me know thank you

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Chinchilla breeders in Southern California?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 08:47:11 PM »

I recommend connecting with cachins.org they are a solid reputable site.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Mannybilly1030

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 02:55:57 AM »

I recommend connecting with cachins.org they are a solid reputable site.
I just found a breeder about an hour away from them. BUT! my mom found a lady giving up a female chin on craigslist (I never trust craigslist or kijiji but this lady seems very legit) that they no longer want and I seen pictures and feel bad because her cage is pretty bad. a bunch of plastic and what looks like pine shavings. her hair looks like its in bad shape probably from pulling her when she runs away but other then that the poos look healthy and no discharge from the eyes, nose, and mouth. i'm just hoping if I take this girl in her teeth are in good condition and her feet and hand pads. but if so as soon as possible i'm going to save up to buy her own FN because really the cage looks like its as high as 2 and a half feet. I have gotten her contact information and looking to get her to respond back asap because this chin needs a better home. and i'm going to do research on neutering chins as I have had a couple friends who's chins passed away from the surgery and most likely the anesthesia to so I just want to call some vets around my area and see who neuters chins. so I got this planned out if I pick the little girl up.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 06:49:25 AM »

I bought a chinchilla on craigslist myself. Had terrible tooth problems that didn't show up until months later and I had him euthanized. I wasn't particularly sorry I got that one. He was a great learning experience because he was not tame and was difficult to work with.
If you go with a second-hand animal verify that its diet is correct. This is unlimited loose timothy hay and unlimited alfalfa based pelleted diet. This diet should not be the popular mixed diets with fruits and nuts in the pellets which can cause liver and tooth problems in the long run.
If the hair is not in good condition it can mean a number of things. It could be poor diet, habitual fur chewing, or a fungal infection. You'll want to have that diagnosed. Since you already have a pet I recommend a two week quarantine. Just keep the new chin in another room for two weeks and monitor its health. If it has fungus it will be less likely to spread to the others.

As far as neutering I don't recommend it at all. I know of three cases, one died, two were successful but suddenly stopped eating and had to be nursed back to health over a week after the surgery. One almost died and had to go back to the vet. Even if the surgery is successful you can still lose your pet from complications. You will have to monitor its food for three weeks and be prepared to syringe feed. Do not do this unless you have experience with caring for critically sick animals and are prepared to deal with morbid complications and the expense of multiple vet visits.

If you are up for the challenge that is fine too. I don't regret getting my chin from craigslist but now I personally would rather have a chin from a breeder that is hand raised and easy to work with going in, where I know its been cared for properly, and is unlikely to have genetic tooth problems.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 06:52:01 AM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Mannybilly1030

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 10:29:43 PM »

I bought a chinchilla on craigslist myself. Had terrible tooth problems that didn't show up until months later and I had him euthanized. I wasn't particularly sorry I got that one. He was a great learning experience because he was not tame and was difficult to work with.
If you go with a second-hand animal verify that its diet is correct. This is unlimited loose timothy hay and unlimited alfalfa based pelleted diet. This diet should not be the popular mixed diets with fruits and nuts in the pellets which can cause liver and tooth problems in the long run.
If the hair is not in good condition it can mean a number of things. It could be poor diet, habitual fur chewing, or a fungal infection. You'll want to have that diagnosed. Since you already have a pet I recommend a two week quarantine. Just keep the new chin in another room for two weeks and monitor its health. If it has fungus it will be less likely to spread to the others.

As far as neutering I don't recommend it at all. I know of three cases, one died, two were successful but suddenly stopped eating and had to be nursed back to health over a week after the surgery. One almost died and had to go back to the vet. Even if the surgery is successful you can still lose your pet from complications. You will have to monitor its food for three weeks and be prepared to syringe feed. Do not do this unless you have experience with caring for critically sick animals and are prepared to deal with morbid complications and the expense of multiple vet visits.

If you are up for the challenge that is fine too. I don't regret getting my chin from craigslist but now I personally would rather have a chin from a breeder that is hand raised and easy to work with going in, where I know its been cared for properly, and is unlikely to have genetic tooth problems.

The lady responded and the chin isnt available anymore. But i found a Private Breeder who Breeds Ebony chins and i think Pink Whites and Mosaics and he has 3 Ebony chins available. So he is suppose to send pictures of both the males and females he has and from there ill see which one is in a better condition and from there we would meet each other half ways since he lives almost an hour and a half away from me. And reason we are doing that is because my dad has to rush back to work right after so once i get out after school one of these days during the week ill have the new chin. And After quarntine i need tips one introducing the new chin with the boys i have. Im in the process of getting a new Ferret Nation Cage. But for the while i dont have it im going to really disinfect and wash down the cage down to get rid of there scent and im buying new fleece and newer ledges and the ledges i have now im going to soak them in hot water with vinegar. My aunt told me about that and it supposedly gets rid of any scents that are strong so im going to do that. I would buy a $150 cage at petco but the plastic flooring isnt switchable and i dont want to put bedding since its soo messy and i dont want the chin biting down the plastic. So if theres anything wrong with that please correct me.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 06:52:46 AM »

I recommend cleaning cages with bleach. Vinegar is acidic and causes rust. It is also not as strong of a disinfectant. When using bleach always use it outside and away from pets. Rinse with water and make sure it is dry before putting your pets back in the cage.

If your other chins are male I strongly recommend not getting a female. These animal can breed very easily.
Introducing chinchillas can be tricky. I've never done it first-hand but the way it's usually done is you put the cages next to each other no closer than 2" apart. Exchange some soiled bedding between cages and just do this for two weeks. After two weeks let them dust bathe together (In your case, since you have two other chins, don't do this with more than two at a time) and see how they respond to each other. If they are pulling out hair, threatening to fight, you can separate them quickly. Males are easier to introduce than females. If there are still problems additional steps can be taken. Some chinchillas cannot be paired depending on their personalities. As always whenever you have more than one chinchilla in a cage there is always the possibility one can kill another without warning or apparent cause at any time even after they are bonded and have gotten along for years. It doesn't matter what color they are or even if they are litter mates. Always have a hut in the cage for chins to get away from a fight if one occurs to minimize this risk.

Mannybilly1030

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 04:25:46 PM »

I recommend cleaning cages with bleach. Vinegar is acidic and causes rust. It is also not as strong of a disinfectant. When using bleach always use it outside and away from pets. Rinse with water and make sure it is dry before putting your pets back in the cage.

If your other chins are male I strongly recommend not getting a female. These animal can breed very easily.
Introducing chinchillas can be tricky. I've never done it first-hand but the way it's usually done is you put the cages next to each other no closer than 2" apart. Exchange some soiled bedding between cages and just do this for two weeks. After two weeks let them dust bathe together (In your case, since you have two other chins, don't do this with more than two at a time) and see how they respond to each other. If they are pulling out hair, threatening to fight, you can separate them quickly. Males are easier to introduce than females. If there are still problems additional steps can be taken. Some chinchillas cannot be paired depending on their personalities. As always whenever you have more than one chinchilla in a cage there is always the possibility one can kill another without warning or apparent cause at any time even after they are bonded and have gotten along for years. It doesn't matter what color they are or even if they are litter mates. Always have a hut in the cage for chins to get away from a fight if one occurs to minimize this risk.

I can do with bleach and what would i do about the fleece i have and the ledges and stuff? The toys im going to buy alot more this upcoming 2 weeks and probably a fleece tube and another pair of fleece. And ive talked to the guy and im deciding to get the boy. Another reason why is i wouldnt have the extra time if and ever the female chin got pregnant to care for her and for the babys since im still in school and my dad feels really scared to handle the chinchillas. So im considering the Boy.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 05:21:28 PM »

Fleece can be put in your washing machine and dryer. (Of course as a separate load) and use regular detergent.
Ledges should simply be replaced once a year, or if a chinchilla catches a contagious sickness. (If that happens I recommend replacing towards the end of the antibiotic treatment)

Mannybilly1030

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 08:57:24 PM »

Fleece can be put in your washing machine and dryer. (Of course as a separate load) and use regular detergent.
Ledges should simply be replaced once a year, or if a chinchilla catches a contagious sickness. (If that happens I recommend replacing towards the end of the antibiotic treatment)

My chins were sick sometime ago I did sand off a couple layers all over the ledges there were 2 ledges where I geuess when the Chins stepped on the poops the water in the poop stained the ledges and even if I sanded off there was still the water from the poop stained into the ledges so those were thrown away. I'm going to buy more in 2 months.
And ok I don't have to worry about the fleece then
Pages: [1]   Go Up