Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with assist feed  (Read 740 times)

ChiperDoodle

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Help with assist feed
« on: January 24, 2015, 08:48:44 AM »

Hey everyone,
My chinchilla, Chip, broke her leg last Monday she's in a splint now and she's getting medicine and assist feed.
I'm able to get the medicine down but I'm having trouble getting her to eat.
I'm wrapping her in a towel but she struggles against it so much I'm worried I'll hurt her more.
I've added a small amount of diluted Apple juice to the mix which helped a little but she's still not eating all she should.
Does anyone have suggestions on different food options I can add that she'd might enjoy more or tips for feeding her the assist feed.
Should I feed her before I give her meds or feed her a different time than when I give her meds?
I'm worried for her health if she's not eating enough.
Any suggestions would be so appreciated!

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Help with assist feed
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 11:12:54 AM »

In my experience with syringe feeding chinchillas I find it easiest to have someone hold the animal while you are feeding it. Do this in a well lit room and have everything prepared so there is a minimum of waiting for your pet once it is outside of the cage. This will make her less likely to be fidgety.

The best way to monitor your pet's health is to weigh her every day and see how much weight she has lost or gained since Monday. You can call your veterinarian with her current weight and ask for advice. If it is too high or too low your vet can recommend how to adjust it.

Make sure there is fecal output each day or you will need to take additional steps to treat gastrointestinal stasis. I would give the medications first and then feed in the same session. Make sure she has access to loose hay, water, and pellets in the cage. Do not give treats or other food until she is eating normally.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

iSpi

Re: Help with assist feed
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 05:14:34 PM »

When I had to syringe feed my chinchilla, she was more comfortable without a towel. She was harder to handle when she squirmed around, but I think when she saw the towel she would think of me restricting her. It might be best for you to have one though because of the broken leg. Maybe try to test it without a towel if you feel comfortable?

About feeding her with the syringe, I would take the tip of the syringe and put it at the edge of my chinchilla's mouth. She would try to move away , but I tried to keep her head steady. I tried to avoid putting the syringe straight into my chinchillas mouth in case I might have pushed out too much medicine at once, and I didn't want her to breath any of it into her lungs.

As for eating her normal food, my vet recommended softening the pellets in warm water and seeing if my chinchilla would eat some of that. She didn't, but it was an option. Make sure to switch that out often, because it can get messy and will go bad. I eventually had to put my chinchilla on Critical Care because she had stopped eating her food and drinking her water, but after a few days of that she started eating by herself again.

I agree with everything GrayRodent said as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up