Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Introducing two males  (Read 1167 times)

Herbert

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
Introducing two males
« on: January 22, 2015, 10:04:49 AM »

Hi,

I have a one year old male chin and am planning on getting a new one tomorrow, they say he is about 6 months old.  Does their colour matter or can they be different colours and still have the potential to get along? Has anyone here introduced two males? Do you have any tips on how I should do it and what exactly I need to do.  I just built a 4ft x 4ft x 2ft cage for the year old chin and still have the old cage I had him in and I planned on using that one for the new chin then putting them together in the big cage once they are used to each other.  Does anyone know what I need to do in order to bring them together?

Thank you!

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Introducing two males
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 10:42:23 AM »

I do not have direct experience in this area but others may be able to comment.

Just for a fair warning pairing chinchillas together does not always work. Chinchillas can turn on each other without warning at any time even after they are bonded. Make sure to have a hutch or shelter where one of them can hide in the cage at all times. This minimizes but does not eliminate the risk of them killing each other. Some chinchillas are not compatible with each other.

Older chins that are used to living alone are harder to pair than chins that have been together before. Once chinchillas are bonded there is a slight risk that they will become dependent on one another. Therefore if one dies the other may become depressed and die unless a new cage mate is introduced quickly.
Male chinchillas are easier to introduce than females. It doesn't matter if they are the same color or even from the same litter. Each animal has its own personality and tolerances. Even if they are bonded, if chinchillas are temporarily separated for a couple of weeks, for example, to treat a sickness in a different room, you may have to start the process over.

This is the process I am familiar with. Place the cages next to each other no closer than 2 inches apart. Do this for two weeks. When you clean the cages take a part of the soiled bedding from each others' cages and swap them. This helps them get used to having the smell of the other animal in its territory. After two weeks let them play together or dust bathe together where you can separate them quickly and watch very closely. If it doesn't look like they are going to kill each other put them in one cage. They may mount each other and get vocal at first. If they pull each others' hair out then make sure to separate them again. Hair pulling can be a precursor to fighting. Of course biting or wounding is unacceptable and extremely dangerous.

If after two weeks they are still fighting each other wait another week. If that still doesn't work there are additional methods.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Herbert

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 11:22:17 AM »

Thanks for the info.  I bought a play pen for my chin and I set it up with the sides of the opening on either side of his cage so he can run back into his cage when he wants to.  Do you happen to know how I should do this with the two? I can't let him free roam in the room he is in now because when he escaped last time he chewed the tv wires. I heard that it's better for them to be able to run back into their cage when they want to so I am kind of weary putting them together in the bathroom, or do you think that would be okay?

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 11:36:44 AM »

After the two week introduction period I recommend putting them both together in a bathtub or shower stall with your dust bath pan there and be with them to make it easy to break up any potential fighting. That is my opinion. Definitely don't let them roam freely through the room. Electrocution deaths for chinchillas is quite common.
It will be okay to let them go between cages once you have firmly established they are not going to fight. You can swap the cages though which may not be a bad idea, and let them play for a few minutes a day in each others' cage, but still separately.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 12:15:06 PM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Herbert

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 11:44:07 AM »

What is your opinion on two separate dust baths? Or should I buy something bigger that the two of them can fit in?

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 12:15:46 PM »

Just one bin should be fine.

Herbert

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 12:44:32 PM »

The dust bath I have now will only fit one chin at a time.

Also how would you suggest me getting the chin I have now into the bathroom as he does not like to be touched or picked up..

Herbert

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 01:18:46 PM »

I also have another question.  As of now I let my chin out in the play pen every single night.  How am I going to be able to do that with the new one? Should I stop that for the two weeks of introductions?

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 01:49:33 PM »

Just don't let them out at the same time and that won't be an issue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up