Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New baby chinchillia  (Read 838 times)

Heman90210

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
New baby chinchillia
« on: January 22, 2015, 02:05:57 AM »

Hi, I have two adult chinchillia and recently got a baby chinchillia. The new chinchillia is, understandably, frighten and timid. My adult chinchillas want to get close to the new chinchillia, but the baby chin is defensive . Should I place the new chinchillia in a separate cage until it's more comfortable? Or should I leave the baby in with the adults and hope that they will bond eventually?

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: New baby chinchillia
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 07:02:54 AM »

You must keep them separate for at least two weeks. If you put the baby in with the adults without the proper introduction period and method it will very likely be killed.
How old is it and what are the genders of all your pets?
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Heman90210

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 07:44:49 PM »

So I got to get a new cage? the baby is 3 month old. The other chins is 4 years old. All are female. Could you enlighten me on this proper introduction procedure?

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 08:58:47 PM »

I answered this question just this afternoon. Here is the thread:
http://www.chinchillaclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,4775.msg34490.html#msg34490

In your case I would keep them in the same room for a couple of months so your kit can grow a little larger. A three month old has a size disadvantage and may not fare so well in a tussle. The risk of fighting is higher with females than males. I would go through the process as described in the previous thread except I would introduce one adult at a time in the bathtub to test the waters before throwing the kit in with the others. Again, I am not experienced in this area. Any comments are appreciated. Proceed with great caution.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Heman90210

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 12:33:45 PM »

I got the cage, but it was too little to late. By the time I had the cage ready, it had contracted intestinal prolapse (she pooped her intestines). I contacted the vet and they want 500-600$. I can't afford that. I am in a moral dilemma. Should I let it live so it can ride it's last days in it's cage? Or should I kill it and spare it's suffering?

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 02:59:42 PM »

I'm very sorry to hear that. That is rotten.

I recommend you have it euthanized. I think it will work out better for you and protect your other pets. A weak and dying animal can contract sicknesses that can cause harm to your other chinchillas. I doubt it will die overnight.

It is people that are made in the image of God, not animals. Moral dilemmas are a lot easier to work out with them. It's hard to lose a pet that you are attached to but it is critically important to remember that distinction.

Rectal prolapse is often caused when there is something like a bowel obstruction, parasites, or chronic diarrhea that causes the animal to strain for a long period of time. Chances are there is something else has been going on for weeks. Be careful of your other chinchillas and make sure they stay eating and pooping normally. Consider the possibility that they could have been exposed to something. It doesn't mean they'll catch anything but if you find abnormally hard and small, or wet and sticky feces that lasts more than 24 hours you'll want to have a stool culture done just in case.

Parasitic infections generally respond well to medications but they can be contagious and deadly if left untreated.

I'm sorry for your loss.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 03:02:43 PM by GrayRodent »
Pages: [1]   Go Up