Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best wheel/flying saucer  (Read 1848 times)

Cullen808

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Best wheel/flying saucer
« on: January 20, 2015, 02:04:39 PM »

Hi new here :)
Hope this is the right forum.
I'm in search of a quality wheel or flying saucer. Wanna here from people who have experience with well made high quality ones. I'm tired f buying the plastic ones just to have them break and make LOTS of noise after a month. I'd rather spend $300 on a quality one that'll last than $50 on one that won't. Prefer saucer, but how hard is it to introduce chinchillas to it?
 Also my chinchilla has a 2 story metal cage. The rust on it is getting bad and vinegar won't take every last bit off. What do you guys recommend i do to keep it away? Should I start using fleece flooring? I just don't want it to get on his paws.
Any help appreciated!

kageri

• Appreciation points: 44
  • # of Chins: 10
    • View Profile
Re: Best wheel/flying saucer
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 04:46:24 PM »

I'd rather spend $50 on one that will last. http://www.exoticnutrition.com/trwhla14in.html  They learn the wheel within days and within a month are jumping to land at the top so they can spin down and start running.

Vinegar causes rust.  It dissolves the protective coating on galvanized wire.  It should be used on a powder coated cages and even then not in damaged spots.  Rustoleum can be used with minor controversy.  Some say only certain ones can be used but I couldn't find details on that.  Unless you have a bar chewer that messes with that area any type should be safe.  Use a dilute bleach solution to clean or buy one of the special cleaners for bird and small animal cages in the future.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 09:33:24 PM »

Yes use rustoleum paint. I think it's supposed to be non-toxic once it's dry. Even if it's not it's a proven method.
Bleach is the best disinfectant but the fumes are dangerous until it dries. After that it's not a problem. Best to do it outside and make sure your chinchilla isn't there when you use it. I recommend not having your chinchilla around when using any cleaners that get atomized into the air no matter how safe they are supposed to be.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Cullen808

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 10:51:44 PM »

Oh geez. I read vinegar is a safe cleaner. Sad to know that I've been causing the rust. So this paint, i just paint over the rust?

And is that the spinner you currently use? Is it noisy? I had a plastic one in his cage for 2 weeks with no success.

kageri

• Appreciation points: 44
  • # of Chins: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 12:52:45 PM »

It's not very loud.  It did kind of echo when it was upstairs so we heard it downstairs.  Now that everyone is downstairs I don't hear them except a small amount of noise when in that room.  Being powder coated it can be cleaned with anything in any fashion you want.  Every wheel is going to make some noise.  The quietest is probably a chin spin.  They are big, bulky, and expensive.  They might need some extra support to stick on the bars of some cages without breaking them.  However, they are very quiet and usually last longer than the life of your chin.   Occasionally very destructive chins do accomplish overly damaging the wheel.  It is a wood core with metal over it.  The original flying saucers that mount can be very loud and damage bars if you don't do some modifications.  At minimum the wheel has to be put at a height you can slide a piece of board under it to prevent bouncing.  Some also run a board down the outside of their Critter Nation to attach to instead of relying on the wires because flying saucers are the most common ones to break cn bars.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 03:07:15 PM »

You may want to clean the rust with a wire brush or steel wool to remove any loose flakes that may flake off with the paint. Then spray over it.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up