Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Critter Nation  (Read 1068 times)

slinky123

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
Critter Nation
« on: January 05, 2015, 07:48:09 PM »

Hi all I've just ordered a Midwest Critter Nation double unit, I have a large homemade cage but for safety reasons I've decided to go with an all metal cage apparently according to the company specifically built for small animals. Much like the ferret nation model.. Well.. Actually its the same thing except the Critter compared to the Ferret has different sized hole spacing on the cage.

Any thoughts or opinions on this model?

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Critter Nation
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 08:46:35 PM »

I'm sorry your home built cage idea didn't work out. I wish I could offer more pointers but the most experience I've had with that is building a floor to retrofit a parrot cage.

Although I don't have experience with CN cages I know that others have used them successfully. I also know that with CN or FN cages that you must not mount wheels or items that bear a lot of weight to the bars because the welds are fragile and some users have reported breaking them. There may be aftermarket metal cage pans available as well that are deeper and more suited to keeping chinchillas. I hope others will comment on this.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 08:51:33 PM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

kageri

• Appreciation points: 44
  • # of Chins: 10
    • View Profile
Re: Critter Nation
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 11:17:43 AM »

A ferret nation would have been better if you aren't breeding.  The close, narrow bars on a critter nation are flimsy in comparison.  Also several wheels can't attach without modification.  Silver surfers have too large of hooks.  If you mount anything like a flying saucer you should support both the attachment on the bars and under the wheel with wood.  That's why I went to these http://www.exoticnutrition.com/trwhla14in.html .  Anything else with weight or that has a lot of movement also needs a brace across the outside to spread the weight.  If you do break a bar it can be solved by getting a straight metal bracket from the hardware store and screwing it to the nearby bars.

Other than that the cages work perfectly fine.  You should replace the plastic shelf it comes with.  You might have wood from your homemade cage that can be used for various shelves.  The instructions here also apply to boards http://www.mdvaden.com/bird_perches.shtml
Pages: [1]   Go Up