Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stressed chinchilla after moving  (Read 697 times)

Dotvom

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: One
    • View Profile
Stressed chinchilla after moving
« on: January 03, 2015, 07:33:40 PM »

Hey everyone! My girlfriend and I adopted a chinchilla recently, and he is our first one. We just moved upstate, so he was in the car for four and a half hours. We kept it quiet and cool in the car, but I know it was really hard on him. He is obviously stressed out, and in the last few days since we moved he has barked a few times. He has his own room now, and we're keeping it dim and cool and quiet for him so he can adjust smoothly, but I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on making that adjustment period easier on him. I just want him to be happy, and I know it takes a little time, but I just wanted to make sure we're doing everything right. Thanks so much!

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Stressed chinchilla after moving
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 07:52:33 PM »

Sounds like you're doing everything right. One thing that makes sense to me ito do is run a small fan closeby (never blow a fan into your pet's cage) or play music at a low level to help mask frightening noises. Relocation stress typically improves after about two weeks. I went through the same thing. Make sure to monitor food and water intake, withhold treats, and it should be fine.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Dotvom

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 09:51:37 AM »

Thank you! :)

Jasonred79

• Appreciation points: 24
  • # of Chins: 1
  • human belonging to Popsicle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 01:22:40 PM »

ooh.... the thing about chins is, some of them are pretty social animals... they can get lonely... if your chin is used to having a roommate, and now he's all alone most of the time, AND this coincided with moving to a completely new house... mmm.

Anyhow, may or may not be so. Just be aware that the possibility that he might feel lonely is there, if he behaves unusually you might ask yourself "maybe he's lonely?" and if you realize "yeah, I think he *IS* lonely!" then you will be able to take steps to deal with it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up