Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New chinchilla not drinking any water  (Read 7137 times)

Chinchi

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
New chinchilla not drinking any water
« on: January 03, 2015, 01:35:20 PM »

We recently got 2 3 months old chinchillas. It has been almost 30 hours since one of them has drank any water, the other one is drinking normally. We have a water bottle like the one they used to have in their old home. We tried giving him time but it feels like it is a lot and we are taking him to the vet tomorrow, but we also tried giving him water in a tiny bowl, luring him to the water bottle or a slice of juicy apple but he just won't take it. I need some tips on this, I'm very scared for him right now. Is it normal while he is still adapting? And how long can he survive with no water whatsoever?

And also, yes he eats normally, the water bottle is in his reach and constantly full of fresh filtered water.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: New chinchilla not drinking any water
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 01:56:49 PM »

Are you actually measuring the water intake? Most chinchillas drink thier water at night when they are most active. Most pet rodents are accustomed to using a regular water bottle and might not drink from an open reservoir. Typically most chinchillas will stop eating before they are sick enough to stop drinking. I strongly recommend using a water bottle and measuring based on how much the level falls. You can use a rubber band and a ruler.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 01:58:52 PM »

Also the water level does not fall very much. They do not drink large amounts per day like larger pets so the levels must be measured to get a decent assessment.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Chinchi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 02:27:50 PM »

Are you actually measuring the water intake? Most chinchillas drink thier water at night when they are most active. Most pet rodents are accustomed to using a regular water bottle and might not drink from an open reservoir. Typically most chinchillas will stop eating before they are sick enough to stop drinking. I strongly recommend using a water bottle and measuring based on how much the level falls. You can use a rubber band and a ruler.
No, I didnt sleep and layed down listening all night but I heard drinking only once and it was the other one.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 03:41:07 PM »

Have you checked to make sure the water bottle is dispensing?
A chinchilla can surive several days without water but complications can occur. If you are this concerned I recommand putting them in separate cages right next to each other and measuring the water level tomorrow morning. Do not separate them any longer than necessary. Your vet can test for dehydration. I expect there to be more symptoms though if there really is a problem.

Chinchi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 01:03:22 AM »

Have you checked to make sure the water bottle is dispensing?
A chinchilla can surive several days without water but complications can occur. If you are this concerned I recommand putting them in separate cages right next to each other and measuring the water level tomorrow morning. Do not separate them any longer than necessary. Your vet can test for dehydration. I expect there to be more symptoms though if there really is a problem.
Yes I checked and it is working, we tried separating them for the night and he still won't drink while she does drinks normally. (And again, I stayed up listening and also marked the bottles with a sharpie.) We are taking them to the vet in a bit.

I've been told that he might not drink because he is too scared and hasn't adapted yet, which is true. He doesn't look sick (he is eating, jumping around, pooping normally) but still we are taking him to the vet ASAP! Is there anything the vet can do if he is dehydrated but still to scared to drink?

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 06:52:28 AM »

If he is dehydrated and showing symptoms of acute dehydration the vet can put him on an IV drip. The important thing is first to establish that there is a problem and if there is to diagnose what is causing that. Typically that kind of stress doesn't last longer than a couple of days.

Water can be syringe fed but it has to be done absolutely the right way because if you get water in his lungs it is over. Also the correct amount and dosage must be given or you can end up killing your pet as well. Therefore, if given instructions to do this, be very attentive.

Considering his food intake and fecal output is normal I suspect he has been drinking but you are not catching it. Water is essential for digestion so if he's pooping water has to be coming from somewhere. Typically a chinchilla that has gone off its water completely will go off its food first and fecal output becomes hard and scant. This condition would be considered an emergency but it doesn't sound like you are there yet. We'll know more after the exam.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 07:03:27 AM by GrayRodent »

Chinchi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 02:39:29 PM »

We went to the vet and all she gave him was things that are supposed to increase his appetite (since he doesn't eat as much as the other one, and she also said that if he is eating he must be drinking) and told us to feed him water through a small dropper. We did that (we managed to get a small amount) but he stopped pooping and he is still not eating much (it has been 4 hours or more)

We're gonna bring him back to the vet tomorrow morning but I feel like we are stressing him out even more with the constant car trips.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 03:43:42 PM »

I wouldn't be too concerned just yet. Fecal output for chinchillas varies through the day. The important metric is going to be the total output over 24 hours. My very healthy chinchilla poops very little from morning to evening during his sleepy hours but the evening it's everywhere and by morning droppings can be found on every shelf. His day to day output is fairly constant.

I'm a little wary of giving your pet drugs to increase its appetite. I don't think I've ever seen that done before. I'm curious to see how that works out. Watch carefully for diarrhea which can occur if stimulants are given and can be very dangerous if not managed. If its droppings become runny or water call your vet at the first sign. The car trips certainly aren't helping. It sounds like your pet has a nervous disposition compared to the other.

Also did they do a fecal culture to check for parasites? If they didn't you may want to find a different vet because that would lead me to believe they don't know what they are doing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up