Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rose hips  (Read 994 times)

Moxie

• Appreciation points: 2
  • # of Chins: 1
  • *Love is a four legged word*
    • View Profile
Rose hips
« on: January 01, 2015, 06:48:38 PM »

I have heard rose hips are good for chinchillas. Does anyone know benefits of rose hips or if they should have them? Thanks
-Moxie <3

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Rose hips
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 07:03:54 PM »

My opinion is that a chinchilla's diet should be based on loose timothy hay and proper alfalfa based pellets. Eveything over that is unecessary and not particularly beneficial. Rose hips are a safe treat but like any treat should be given in moderation and only when your pet is healthy. I'd say no more than one large one per day.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Moxie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 07:48:48 PM »

Alrighty thank you
-Moxie <3

kageri

• Appreciation points: 44
  • # of Chins: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 12:48:28 AM »

About 1 or 2 a day are what's usually fed.  They are supposed to be high in vit c but whether the chins need any extra vit c is a debate.  While animals may only need a few items to survive, diet enrichment is fully taken in to account by such places as zoos and those who are trying to raise sensitive species.  Treats are often considered a necessary part of the diet for psychological purposes.  Various other things are often rotated through the diet as well.  We have 3 different hays and 2 different hay cubes at a given time.  The organic alfalfa is mostly for the rabbits.  I give choice bits to the chins or pinches of a few stems here and there.  Then we have kmshayloft.com bluegrass as the main diet.  We feed about a handful a week of oxbow botanical hay as a sweet hay with herbs in it.  The hay cubes are timothy with some berry juice.  I compared the sugar content and found it no higher in sugar than some of the sweeter cuts of basic timothy hay so once a week they get a small slice off a cube each.  Incorporating foraging is also a good way for enrichment instead of just putting it in a bowl.  The easiest is to get various designs with coconuts that you can stuff hay and other food in to or set on a curved coconut tray that either bolts to the side of the cage or for more fun swings from a chain.

Moxie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 11:51:51 AM »

Thanks this was very useful
-Moxie <3
Pages: [1]   Go Up