Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla not drinking water?  (Read 1346 times)

dunsparth

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Chinchilla not drinking water?
« on: December 31, 2014, 12:22:58 AM »

Hello everyone i am a first time chinchilla owner i got her from a breeder she seems to be thirsty and whenever she goes up to her water dispenser it seems like she wants to get something to drink but i don't think she knows how to properly use the dispenser it worries me it seems like shes getting some water from it but not enough i dont know i see air bubbles rise sometimes but not all the time can someone help?

Moxie

• Appreciation points: 2
  • *Love is a four legged word*
    • View Profile
Re: Chinchilla not drinking water?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 12:31:11 AM »

While she's looking, try to tap it with your finger to show her that water comes out of it. Also if it's wet she will try to lick it and then as more water comes out, she might understand it a little better.

If this didn't help you might want to search some videos on YouTube that will be very helpful :)
-Moxie <3

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 07:18:06 AM »

I rarely see air bubbles rise from a water bottle when animals drink from them. That is normal.

You should check your water spigot every morning by pressing on the ball. If water doesn't come out you have a problem.

Chinchillas drink most of their water at night. You can put a rubber band on the bottle to measure the water level and check it in the morning. If there is no change then you have a problem.

Chinchillas usually grow up drinking from these types of bottles. I would be surprised if your chinchilla did not know how to operate your water bottle.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

dunsparth

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 09:42:15 PM »

thanks for the advice guys i will monitor her some more and try to get her to know how it works, shes still very skiddish around me.

mb30

• Appreciation points: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 09:35:05 AM »

Definitely make sure your bottle is working everytime you change the water and put it back in place in the cage.
There have been a few times where i have changed the water amd put the bottle back on the cage and tapped the ball and no water came out. Always keep spares around just in case.
Pages: [1]   Go Up