Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: opinions about this cage...  (Read 1645 times)

kaos

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
opinions about this cage...
« on: December 30, 2014, 02:27:19 PM »

hi everybody! i'm new in the forum. i've one male chinchilla of 1 year old and i want buy a new cage....
what do you think about this model??

(is the same but blue)
size: high 1.40 m (56 in) , large 79 cm (31.6 in)y width 52 cm (20.8 in)
It is the only suitable for chinchillas I found in my country ... and a good size
sorry for my bad english i'm uruguaian

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: opinions about this cage...
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 04:17:47 PM »

It would be much better if you can find a cage that is made of metal and has no plastic. Plastic can become damaged easily by chinchillas and they can escape by making holes in plastic. It can also be harmful to them if they eat the plastic.
Shelves inside of the cage should be made of wood that is of the correct type for chinchillas. Ramps should not be used. The size of the cage shown is good for one or two chinchillas.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Moxie

• Appreciation points: 2
  • *Love is a four legged word*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 06:12:40 PM »

Yes, wood is better than plastic but it kind of depends on the chinchilla. My chin doesn't usually chew on the plastic and she's fine with it. Plus she does in fact use her ramps and she has never injured herself on it. I think it the actual cage is made of metal, then it should be fine, since there would be no way out. However if it's made of plastic then I would highly suggest not to use that cage. I wouldn't risk having plastic in it especially if your chin isn't used to plastic and he may eat it. It's really not good to risk the chances.
-Moxie <3

kaos

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 09:35:08 PM »

thank both
i dont use ramps in cage, this is just the picture of seller... my chin normaly dont bite things of plastic, he has many toys of wood and my shelves are of tiling.
but i know that if he want he can destroy, anyway plastic estructure is not accesible since inside.
in uruguay there aren't a variety of chinchilla cages.... yesterday i went to a place something like a pet shop and i asked by a chinchilla cage for 5 chin (i lied in this hehe) and the seller there showed me a cage for rabbit 60cmx80cm!!! crazy!!

kaos

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 11:39:42 AM »

anybody has used this cage? to have an idea.... in internet  I find no feedback from people who have used it
I appreciate your comments but expected to find reviews from people who knew the cage, the pros and cons of using it with chinchillas etc
and you have to know that i will take out all ramps like you tell me

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 03:55:50 PM »

It seems most of the users on this prefer to build cages or use Ferret Nation cages woth aftermarket metal pans. It seems FN cages or similar are the most poular. Cages with plastic parts are mostly considered substandard so you probably won't find much information.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 08:43:16 PM »

You may have a few options yet. Of course see what is available for ferrets. They also require all-metal cages and they are large enough. They are not always the best height but they work. A double ferret cage (that has a top and bottom section) is closer to the ideal height.

Also see if you can find a place that sells farm equipment. Rabbit cages can be large as well and can make a temporary home for a chinchilla. You may be able to modify one to make it work better. You may be able to purchase the hardware and tools to build a cage with the right kind of floor and height using the same materials and hardware for building rabbit cages. I recommend using extra crimps for the floor to eliminate gaps between the floor and walls that can injure a chin.

If you get the cage you were asking about that is made of plastic you will need to modify it. You will need to somehow replace the floor with steel mesh. The plastic floor in this cage can be chewed through. Note that chicken wire cannot be used with chinchillas.

The floor should have a bar spacing of no greater than 1/2" by 1/2". The mesh can be framed using wood and stapled down to eliminate any gaps between the wire and the mesh. The walls should have a bar spacing of around 1".

Shelving will have to be constructed from wood as well. You will need to find someone who knows to work with these materials if you can't do it yourself. Shelves are easy to make and requires very simple hardware to install.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 08:57:43 PM by GrayRodent »
Pages: [1]   Go Up