Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cage floor  (Read 2489 times)

Moxie

• Appreciation points: 2
  • # of Chins: 1
  • *Love is a four legged word*
    • View Profile
Cage floor
« on: December 27, 2014, 09:45:02 PM »

For my chinchilla, Moxie, I have a huge cage for her with plenty of space and multiple levels. However the "flooring" in most of it is just bars. On each level there are some platforms, but I have heard the bars are not great for their feet. Is this true? If so, is there some type of flooring of some sort that I can put in there?
-Moxie <3

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Cage floor
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 08:07:37 AM »

I'm a bit concerned about the bar spacing on your floor. It is recommended to have a 1/4" x 1/4" maximum bar spacing for a chinchilla. This prevents their feet from slipping through the bars which can result in fractures since they have such long back feet. In your situation many owners use a fleece floor liner. You may want to research that and cover the floor with it.

My customized cage has a section of wire floor where my chinchilla can pee through and the rest is solid. It works very well but it is difficult to build. Fleece has its own problems though. For you you'll have to weigh the risks and benefits of each case.

Chinchillas typically spend most of their time on solid shelving, which should be made of wood. Shelves can be easily built for a cage. All you need is a saw, a tape measure, a drill, and some mounting hardware. I recommend that you build some or get help from someone who can and research how it is done. It is very simple.
Plastic cage items are not recommended. Plastic that is chewed may become ingested and cause a fatal bowel obstruction and shelves are something chinchillas tend to chew the most.

Typically chins don't use ramps. They can jump over 6 feet straight up. You may want to leave them in until you can fix your floor though to prevent her from gaining enough momentum to cause a fracture.

Wire flooring is actually standard practice with chinchillas. As long as they have a solid surface to rest on it is rarely ever a problem. If the floor bar spacing is too wide there is a high risk of injury. Foot problems tend to be caused by (in this order) dry cracked skin from exposure to artificial bedding that is super-absorbent, improper bedding that is not absorbent enough resulting in exposure to urine, unknown causes of skin dryness perhaps related to aging and genetics, trauma from accidents or fights with other chinchillas, and fractures from wire shelves or ramps. Exposure to wire floor can cause sores but is rare and caused when the animal does not prefer to use the shelving.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Moxie

• Appreciation points: 2
  • *Love is a four legged word*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 10:01:19 AM »

Thank you. I am just concerned with her chewing the fleece because she chews on most everything. Plus I don't know how she will pee through it because everything goes to the bottom, and Im not sure how that would works. But I'll look into it. Thank you
-Moxie <3

kageri

• Appreciation points: 44
  • # of Chins: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 11:38:44 AM »

Very few chinchillas eat fleece and if they do that's the reason we use fleece and not another material.  It comes off in little fuzzballs that are usually harmless.  Bass equipment makes custom metal pans for floor or shelves if you do want to cover things.  You can also just remove it all and put in wood shelves.  The chins would appreciate more chewing material.  Take the ramps out as soon as you can.  Chinchillas have been known to injure themselves running around the cage with ramps.  They will hit them at odd angles and damage/break a leg or slip and hit their mouth.

WallaceAndCo

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 08:01:48 AM »

What did you end up doing in this cage? I just got my first chinchilla 3 weeks ago and I got this exact cage and have been trying to figure out how to fix it! I put some pine sheets over the wire but he is just pooping and peeing on the pine and I'm worried about him sitting in urine.

mb30

• Appreciation points: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 12:24:50 AM »

Get fleeces. There are people who make fleece bedding for chinchillas and guinea pigs. There is an absorbant material in the middle and the urine soaks through and is absorbed. You just vacuum the poops up.

Change it every two days and wash with a pet safe detergent snd air dry. Never put then in a dryer.

Here is an example of what i mean.

http://www.hammockyhammocks.co.uk/store_liners.htm

I'm in the uk so that won't be feasible for you but it shows you exactly what to look for.

Your chinchillas shouldn't chew it. I have a chin that chews everything but she leaves that alone. They might pull at the corners but that should be it.

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 01:29:37 PM »

You can lay mesh wire over the bars. I prefer a wire flooring when possible. It contains their mess and makes for a more hygienic cage in general. Make sure the mess is 1/2 inch square or smaller. As long as they have a solid surface like a hammock or ledges to get off the wire there is no worry that it will hurt their feet.
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 02:34:21 PM »

I totally concur with that. Wire is more sanitary and prevents the animal coming into contact with urine which has caused a lot of problems that I've seen on this board. If you're good at building things and have a table saw I have a way to make a wood/wire floor hybrid that works very well using 1/2" x 1/2" wire grid and 1x12 pine boards. The chins know to pee through the wire but there is a slight adjustment period for some.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 02:39:50 PM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 08:16:34 AM »

some chins will chew fleece, i think most dont.. if you notice your fleece is being chewed, take it out.. one of mine used to chew fleece too
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

Fearground

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 06:04:08 AM »

Hey this is the same cage I have. Mine came with metal flooring and the bars underneath so you may be able to buy the metal platforms online?
Pages: [1]   Go Up