Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie saying hi  (Read 1940 times)

greenie12

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1 female
    • View Profile
Newbie saying hi
« on: December 13, 2014, 04:47:14 AM »

Hi,

My name is Kaz and my daughter is chloe....we live in Hertfordshire, England and we have rescued a beautiful little chin called Fluffy we were told they think she is a year old,we rescued her as the previous owners didnt want her any more due to there 8 year old loosing intetest and not knowing how to care for her :( she is pure white with pink eyes(well people say red but they are more pink lol) she is brilliant we have had her for about 4 months and she seems to be coming out of her shell :) she knows when we are there and comes out to play and she sits on my head or sits on my legs and just runs around playing ,she dont mind a stroke here and there but i dont think she was let out much :(.........i got two tall wire mesh chin cages as temp housing and made holes in the cages and attached tubes so that she could play from one cage to the other as at the time we were not expecting to take another rescue,as i my self have already rescued a little collie cross female dog who was badly mis-treated and i have my pure collie BOB and i also rescued two bearded dragons last year :) so we have a house full lol

My daughter loves her to pieces and so do i  and its amazing watching them together (my Daughter is 19yrs old by the way lol) and she wanted to help fullfy have a forever home so loads of research and checking out things.....
As a suprise for christmas i have purchased a new home for fluffy (my daughter does not know lol)and i really hope that she likes it once we have it kitted out,i have got her a Savic Royal suite due to us on monday and i have ordered cage linners too plus she will have all her toys and hides any info would be very helpful to help set this up lol..... :)

I look forward to meeting fellow animal/chin-lovers on here!

so thank you for the add and i hope to talk soon to you guys and girls  :)

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Newbie saying hi
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 08:15:08 AM »

Congrats on your pet. With pink-whites we call them "ruby" eyes. Sounds less like an eye condition.  rofl

If you use disposable cage liners make sure you are using them with a cage that has a floor grate above the cage tray so your chinchilla does not have access to the liners. Otherwise you can use fleece liners or pine bedding. You may know this but I'd hate for your your chinchilla to get die eating something its not supposed to have.

I'm glad it's been good for your chinchilla. Sounds like you have a very nice pet.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

greenie12

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 08:39:26 AM »

Thank you  :::grins::  Ruby Eyes sounds beautiful

i am having fleece cage liners made to fit the cage "should have stated fleece sorry  :blush2: ,so these will be put in with her new home  :).....

Thank you for the advice  :)

chillamom2012

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 06:00:39 PM »

Hi Kaz! I'm Veronica, and I just joined this site too!  I have 2 chins. One is about 3 years old (a standard grey chin) and the other is less than 2 years old (a beige with ruby eyes too). We never thought we'd own chins until we fell in love with the first one.  After having him a year, and raising/training him, we bought the second one hoping they'd get along (we're still working on that). The younger one was small enough to squeeze through the cage when we first got him and now he's actually larger than the older one. I weigh them regularly to ensure they are healthy (the 3yr old weighs 480g and the 2 yr old weighs 523g).

I think you'll enjoy having your new family member. Chins are such a pleasure to watch and play with. They always make me smile.  I especially love it when the younger one comes up to my face and gives me "kisses". Also, I love talking to them and hearing them reply back (they make several different cooing sounds, sometimes even when they're dreaming- it's so cute). They are both very smart and have totally different personalities. When the 3yr old was young, he would sometimes fall asleep on my lap. We used to play a game where I would build a fort/tent with a blanket and we would sit in it together. He would go outside and investigate and run back into the tent until he got tired and fell asleep on me or near me.  It was so cute!

You sound like you really love your animals, and I look forward to hearing about how your chin settles in. I hope your daughter and chin love their new christmas present :::grins::

greenie12

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 05:54:03 AM »

Hi Veronica  :) ,
nice to meet you and your chins sound beautiful and lovely xxx, should we weigh fluffy also ? being a newbie not heard of that to be honest lol......the cage and fleece liners have arrived and trying to hide for christmas lol its huge..once we have her in i will post pics of every thing lol......she does make great noises no barking at us which is great :) sounds like you  have so much fun with your chins and i am looking forward to spending time with chloe and fluffy and hope we get a simular relationship :)

:::grins::

chillamom2012

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 11:25:20 PM »

Kaz, I do recommend weighing her once she settles in. Since chinchillas are good at hiding health issues until they get pretty bad, weighing them is one way to ensure they are eating ok. Also, paying close attention to their poops! It's sounds funny, but their weight and poop tell you a lot! :-) You don't want squishy poops or small round ones. Healthy poops are solid dark brown, and they look like rice without pointy tips. (I hope I described that ok).

If your chin starts to get sick or too stressed, her weight may decrease due to not eating. For my chins, I had to weigh them regularly to ensure they were growing as they should (since they were young when we bought them). Now, I weigh them every now and then to make sure they're not gaining or losing too much.

Sounds like you're off to a good start. I'm still learning lots about our chins too:-)

greenie12

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 04:26:44 AM »

Hi Veronica,

Thanks for the advice we will start to do this once setteled fully ,yep poops are fine solid and brown and do look like rice lol explained very well  :)

My daughter was at her nans last night so i was on fluffy duty  :) and she came bounding out of her currant cage stright onto bed and sat on me leg's ...i knew what was coming lol she started running around playing she seemed happy making litle "happy" squeek i call them,jumping off the wall etc and then jumped back up with me and sat on my lap watching my laptop pad then climbed up my arm and sat on my head again lol.....i will have to try and get pic no one belives me that she does it lol....only me not my daughter which is funny....we had a full hour of play and her bath dusting chewing her tubes etc and then she went back to her cage and snuggle in her hammock so i took this as her having enough and closed her cage to which she let me stroke her and i went to bed....she is so presious xx

Is there a chin book that can be recommended as information on the net is a bit mixed and i want to learn more same as my bearded dragons,even though fluffy is my daughters she another member of our family and i want to do right by her :)

Thank you for your advice again Veronica i am grateful xxxxx

« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 04:28:22 AM by greenie12 »

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

greenie12

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 10:02:01 AM »

Thank you  :)   looking for book now x
Pages: [1]   Go Up