Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: chinchillia play time  (Read 2106 times)

Heman90210

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
chinchillia play time
« on: December 03, 2014, 02:12:58 PM »

I have two very cute chinchillas. I let them out, periodically, to play and have their dust bath. I noticed that one of the chinchillas is timid and shy. It would only leave the cage briefly before returning to its cage. So I would let them out, then close access to the cage, forcing it to stay outside. The chinchilla initially showed signs of stress, but then adapted to their environment. However, this had a negative effect, as they are more prone to remain in their cage, than to go out and explore. What are your experiences?     

LYChinchillas

• Appreciation points: 10
  • # of Chins: 5
  • I love my 5 chins!
    • View Profile
    • LY Chinchillas Website
Re: chinchillia play time
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 06:40:12 PM »

Hi, what are your chinchillas names? Are they male or female? How long have you had them? Typically, I let my chins out daily in rotations for 15-30 minutes, depending on what they want. The more you know your chin, the better able you'll be able to sense what they want to do. I have toys set out for them and little cardboard mansions to explore so they aren't too bored. Sometimes, they'll come out of their cage and want to sleep, so I'll put them back. It's a personal preference; some chins will like to be out more than others, but I've found that the more comfortable they are, the less it really matters where they are. My chins are familiar with their playroom and their cage, and treat both similarly 'attitude' wise. They do know, however, that drinks, food, and sleep are in the cage. When they're out, they are typically in a mood to socialize and play. If they're tired, I don't take them out. They'll let me know what they want. I have some tips for chinchilla playtime if you'd like to read about it - the full article can be found here: http://lychinchillas.com/2014/11/19/tips-for-chinchilla-playtime/ - hope it helps!
Mittenmaus * Mufftoneous * Lulu * Fifi * Koko & me, Lisa!

YouTube: www.youtube.com/NYChinchillas
Instagram: www.instagram.com/LYChinchillas
Facebook: www.facebook.com/LYChinchillas
Twitter: www.twitter.com/LYChinchillas

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 05:51:16 AM »

How long have you had your chinchillas? Usually you don't want to let them out to run around until you've had them for a couple of weeks so they can adjust to their new environment. Also that gives them time to get used to you so you can handle them more easily.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

chillamom2012

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 06:17:49 PM »

If you lock them out of the their cage when they come out voluntarily, it may cause them not to trust you and be more wary about coming out.  Remember, they're prey animals and safety from predators is instinctual.

My younger chin is timid like yours, and I'm extra careful in building trust with him.  Both of my chins let me know when they want to come out. If you spend a lot of time with them in the room and observe them, you'll learn to read their body language.  For example, if you open the cage door and he hops out on your hand, he wants out. If he just stays put, or runs away, he doesn't feel like it. I usually carry them from the cage to the play area, so walking out of the cage is seldom an option for them. I only allow it if I'm able to secure a small area immediately around the cage.  This way, the chin walks out of the cage onto my lap, then hops back in. He does this several times (it's sort of bonding thing for us as I add hay and pellets to his cage everyday). Some days, he doesn't feel like it and I just reach in and pet him. He coos a little to let me know he appreciates it, and I leave him alone.

During play time, my chins let me know when they're done playing. If I'm in the play area with them, they will eventually just stop exploring and start falling asleep. Sometimes, my chin will jump up on my shoulder and just wait for me to get up and walk over to his cage. If I'm not in the play area, I will bend down over the gate with my hands open and ask if they want to get out. If so, they will jump on my hand and let me pick them up. If they're not ready, they'll come to my hand, sniff it and run off and play some more. Occasionally, I have to entice them out with the dust bath. 

Anyway, I can share other bonding techniques I've tried with my 3-yr old chin that worked wonders, if you're interested. The great news is that with patience, you'll develop an understanding with them. I'm still learning, of course, and there's lots of room for improvement for me, my husband, and our chins:-)  Sometimes, we have setbacks and have to backtrack, but this is expected when you train any animal, especially humans ::)
Pages: [1]   Go Up