Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: strange behavior  (Read 908 times)

Qkern1

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
strange behavior
« on: December 01, 2014, 12:00:09 PM »

Hi, I'm a proud owner of a 4 year old chinchilla female named Nancy. Nancy is usually very active. But the past week or so she won't play at play time and just sits in my hands and won't move. When I open her cage she climbs into my hands and snuggles against me and she used to not act this way. I'm not sure if she just really likes me or if she is hurt or uncomfortable. I'm pretty sure she is hurt. Sometimes when she tries to jump she jumps fine but other times it's like she doesn't have the jumping strength to make a foot high jump and just falls. Which should be an easy jump for a chin. I felt her legs and nothing seems out of place but she did sprain her leg 5 months before but I figured it was well healed by now.. any ideas to why she snuggles against me and won't play. I have a vet apt tomorrow but I just want some input.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: strange behavior
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 12:12:18 PM »

I don't know. I think it's a good idea to let the vet take a look because that does not sound normal to me. Make sure she is eating and drinking normally. Chinchillas in pain sometimes go off their food and can die from it. If she is is not then you will need to supplement with critical care to prevent complications. How is her weight, food consumption, and fecal output?

My chinchilla likes to cuddle but it took many months of working with him and his behavioral change was gradual.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Qkern1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 12:17:59 PM »

That's where it's also weird because she is eating drinking fine. I see her do it every day or at night. And her poop seems normal. Not wet or anything. Little brown rice as normal.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 12:45:29 PM »

That's a very good thing. Sounds like she is not in immediate danger.
What you have to watch out for is anorexia, lack of droppings, and smaller than normal droppings. If she is in pain it's not causing total anorexia which is good. Also it is important to monitor your pets' weight just as a general practice. Chinchillas can still eat less than normal and start loosing to the point where it becomes dangerous. I encourage all owners to weigh their pets once a week and keep logs. Sometimes it's the only thing you can go by.

Is there anything else that could have caused this? Stress, unusual noises, messed up time schedules, overheating (room temperature above 75F, which can be dangerous), things like that can cause behavioral changes.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 12:47:26 PM »

Another thing to consider is sometimes animals do tame down and crave attention. If there is no physiological explanation and your pet is not acting depressed there may not be anything wrong. It is suspicious because it usually doesn't happen all at once.

Qkern1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 02:44:52 PM »

I decided to take her to the vet today as an emergency. They are doing xrays right now. Will know what's going on soon ):

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 03:59:47 PM »

Probably the best thing to do. Please keep us posted.

Qkern1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 01:52:43 PM »

As of now she is stable. She was dehydrated. Something is causing her to not take in the nutrients and water she needs. But xrays came back good. She is staying at the vet for a few days to hydrate by iv. Then we can narrow down why she wasn't taking in what she needs. So she was eating and drinking. Just not enough for some reason. Will keep you posted.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 02:40:12 PM »

Check your water bottle and make sure it is dispensing properly. How did the teeth look on the xray?
Pages: [1]   Go Up