Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kit Isn't Losing Weight But Isn't Gaining Much  (Read 4615 times)

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Kit Isn't Losing Weight But Isn't Gaining Much
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2014, 06:37:10 AM »

I'm so glad to hear that. I'm pretty sure the dam is fine. She may have had a dry spell. I suspect it was somehow related to the baytril treatment. I'm hoping milk production will go back to normal.
I have a lot of experience raising other kinds of animals. Sometimes the milk just doesn't come back and you'll never find a cause. A veterinarian may be able to do some more elaborate tests and hormone treatments but its up to you how far you want to take it.

The kit I was concerned about but as long as you keep seeing a steady increase just keep up the good work. Sounds like you're in it for the long haul. I'm glad things are going so much better now.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

iSpi

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2014, 06:18:56 PM »

The kit gained 4 grams since yesterday, weighing at 95. I will will give you a day by day log of her weight when she is 300 if you would still like to have that.
Good job little Toofer!! She won't always be little, but I'm fine with that.

Lori Ramsey Earle

• Appreciation points: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2014, 05:51:20 PM »

Great! That's super news! And definitely keep us updated - pics are great too. Kits are so cute!

iSpi

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2014, 08:59:14 PM »

The kit and mom have been doing great!! The kit had been getting out of the cage at night occasionally, but the mom's noises usually woke me up to find the kit next to their cage. I closed off all opening though, so they should be okay now.

Here's the kit today (Dec. 9th), on the edge of their dust bath.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2014, 06:21:13 AM »

That's great. Thanks for sharing that.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Lori Ramsey Earle

• Appreciation points: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2014, 01:36:34 PM »

What a little cutie! So glad things are looking up. For some reason, kits are little escape artists, and you end up needing to "kit-proof" the cage, like you're doing to keep them safe.

iSpi

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2014, 07:17:49 PM »

A little after Christmas, my father has a lot of vacation time and said he would be willing to build a cage for them (both the kit and mom, and a separate cage for my other chinchilla which will probably be next to theirs, but they won't be able to see each other). It will be in our basement which is insulated so it's warm in the winter, but will stay cool in the summer. We have a lot of room in the basement so I hope that there will be a big play area around their cage so they can just hop out when it's their own play times.
That being said, any good tips on personalized cages if anyone has idea? I gave my father a list of websites I believed would be helpful, and gave him a lot of information I read involving safe woods, heights that are safe, different materials, etc. He is very good with carpentry so I know he'll do an excellent job at making sure it is stable and safe.

The kit weighed at 122 grams yesterday (13th), but I did not yet weigh her today. She is very active and is very curious. She isn't as shy as mom when in comes to me being at the door or adding some new things to the cage since the kit is a bit bigger now. The mom takes a minute to realize that it's okay to approach me, but the kit runs straight for the door. Over all, everything is great and I know can get through the night without waking up more than once. I'm very happy that everything worked out and that a larger living space will be available for the both of the them and my other chinchilla.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up