Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chin bleeding?  (Read 836 times)

ONCEUPONATIME

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
Chin bleeding?
« on: November 13, 2014, 02:09:21 PM »

When I checked on my 2 chins this morning, there was blood splattered around the cage.  I checked them both and and they seem fine.  One has a little bit of blood on his bottom, but it could be that he sat in it, etc.  One of their wooden chew toys had some blood on it too.  I don't know if they cut their mouth on it, and then cleaned themselves up, or if maybe it was coming from the one from his bottom.  They were both eating and seemed fine.  I am going to check on them when I get home today.  Should I be worried about this?  ???

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Chin bleeding?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 02:17:18 PM »

Not sure what it is. Usually when that kind of thing happens it is dry cracked skin on the feet that causes bleeding and it gets flung around. The fact it it could be a number of things. Does the blood on the toy look like it got there from spattering or does it look like it was from chewing?
If it is coming from the anus or intestine you'll probably see it smeared in with feces on the floor. Definitely check his feet, clean all the blood out of the cage so it's obvious if there is more blood. Make sure they both are acting okay and if it happens again anytime soon I'd see a vet. If it's in the feces it could be serious. If it's in the mouth or drooling out the of the mouth that can also be serious. Small skin nicks or cracked skin is not serious.
If the feet are cracked you may need to explore the causes of that and treat it to prevent infection.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up