Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for chinchillas in Colorado  (Read 1419 times)

mollo713

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 6
    • View Profile
Looking for chinchillas in Colorado
« on: October 20, 2014, 09:03:26 PM »

I am new to the forum, and I have 6 beige chinchillas. I have been breeding for over 3 years now, and I have had a wonderful time doing it. The kits are so great to have around :-) I am looking to broaden my horizons as far as color goes. I have been looking for some time for a place where I could adopt/rescue/purchase chinchillas of a different color variation. I have nothing against my little beige beauties...but I also think it would be great to mix it up a little. Anyone know of breeders/adoption sites/etc. In Colorado? I would love any/all suggestions. Thanks for reading :-)

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Looking for chinchillas in Colorado
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 06:04:23 AM »

I strongly recommend obtaining chinchillas from a breeder that have a pedigree if you wish to breed them. Rescue and pet store chinchillas may carry genetic defects that can be propagated and can be detrimental to the chinchilla gene pool as well as devastating to pet owners who have obtained pets with genetic diseases. Pet store chinchillas often come from breeders who sell them at low prices because they are low quality, and rescues may be inbred or even sick because the owner had no clue about taking caring of it. (happened to me).

I also recommend checking out the Mutation Chinchilla Breeder's Association (http://www.mutationchinchillas.com/) and stay within their guidelines for mixing colors. Like dogs, just because you can breed any dog, doesn't mean that you should. The Chinchilla Club encourages all breeders to strive to attain the highest quality possible for pet chinchilla lines. If there is any information I can help you to locate please let me know.

Hope this helps.

I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up