Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My chinchillas dislike there Hay...  (Read 811 times)

Mannybilly1030

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
My chinchillas dislike there Hay...
« on: October 19, 2014, 10:21:28 PM »

Ever since i got my chinchillas within the first 3 weeks i started seeing they were Picky Eaters. Out of nowhere recently they started losing interest in the Oxbow Timothy Hay. I do keep it in a plastic container so it lasts longer (with holes for ventilation). So i was flipping through some blogs and other chinchilla forums and i seen some peopl going through the same thing and switchng to Orchard Grass or going to Kleenmamas Hayloft. Ohh before i finish they do love there Alfalfa/Oat Hay Cubs Tremedously within 2 Days of feeding them that the cube is gone... And i do hear alfalfa should be fed sparingly. So what do you suggest a different hay other then timothy? Or Better Hay Quality with kleenmamas? And i heard if they started off with tooth problems they would stop eating completely and they would Start to drool. There is no signs of that. There Super Hyper and active chewing on there toys so i know theres no tooth problem there.

mb30

• Appreciation points: 36
    • View Profile
Re: My chinchillas dislike there Hay...
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 12:43:35 AM »

One of my chins isn't a huge lover of timothy hay either. At least i barely see her eating it.
I also mix in oxbow orchard grass which she does eat. I've also tried 2 other kinds of timothy hay and it's hit or miss really.
One hay they do like is ings hay. It is pretty cheap and it is safe for chins. Try ings hay and oxbow orchard grass.

Also if worse comes to worse you can buy plantain and give them that as well. I am not 100% certain it is okay to gice plantain freely so hopefully someone can back that up.

Mannybilly1030

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 04:22:18 PM »

One of my chins isn't a huge lover of timothy hay either. At least i barely see her eating it.
I also mix in oxbow orchard grass which she does eat. I've also tried 2 other kinds of timothy hay and it's hit or miss really.
One hay they do like is ings hay. It is pretty cheap and it is safe for chins. Try ings hay and oxbow orchard grass.

Also if worse comes to worse you can buy plantain and give them that as well. I am not 100% certain it is okay to gice plantain freely so hopefully someone can back that up.

Ill have to look into the ings hay, do you know there site?

LYChinchillas

• Appreciation points: 10
  • # of Chins: 5
  • I love my 5 chins!
    • View Profile
    • LY Chinchillas Website
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 01:03:16 AM »

I've had a similar problem before, but I've found that they simply prefer some brands of timothy hay to others. I'd try swapping a brand and seeing how that works for you.

Ings hay is grown by Hay for Pets, and can be found here: http://www.hay-for-pets.co.uk/
Mittenmaus * Mufftoneous * Lulu * Fifi * Koko & me, Lisa!

YouTube: www.youtube.com/NYChinchillas
Instagram: www.instagram.com/LYChinchillas
Facebook: www.facebook.com/LYChinchillas
Twitter: www.twitter.com/LYChinchillas

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 08:46:36 AM »

i know a lot of people like this place, http://smallpetselect.com/
jean