Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clay toys for my chin!  (Read 1168 times)

Silverflash22

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • All of my chins pics
Clay toys for my chin!
« on: October 05, 2014, 04:06:41 PM »

Hello! I'm a freshmen in college and I'm taking a ceramics class and I was wondering if it would be safe for me to make clay toys such as a ladder or tube out of clay for my chins to play in. If i were to glaze it at all i would use the "safe to eat" glaze because I know how much they love to chew! Thank you guys!

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Clay toys for my chin!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 04:17:21 PM »

Whatever you use make sure it cannot fragment into pieces that can lacerate your pet's insides. If he manages to eat it I would be concerned about it becoming like sand colic which is a potentially fatal disorder in larger ruminants since sand is heavy and pulls down on the bowels not allowing it to clear and it becomes an obstruction. Perhaps someone else has something to add.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Silverflash22

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
    • All of my chins pics
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 04:29:04 PM »

Whatever you use make sure it cannot fragment into pieces that can lacerate your pet's insides. If he manages to eat it I would be concerned about it becoming like sand colic which is a potentially fatal disorder in larger ruminants since sand is heavy and pulls down on the bowels not allowing it to clear and it becomes an obstruction. Perhaps someone else has something to add.
Hm yea I was worried about the digestion :) thank you ill wait for more replies before I make anything for them

kageri

• Appreciation points: 44
  • # of Chins: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 05:26:22 PM »

Some people use clay plant pots for toys, climbing, and as feeders.  I'm not sure how the clay would compare and I'm not sure if there is any sealant like glaze on them.

mb30

• Appreciation points: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 12:48:29 AM »

Personally...if I had any doubts at all about something when it comes chins i wouldn't do it.  Especially if it comes to something they might eat. There's too much that could go wrong imo.

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 09:00:07 AM »

i also see a lot of people using the clay pots, but arent they made out of something other than ceramic material?  i dont know, i just thought they were.  what i do know is that with ceramics, if humans are to use it for consumption, it has to have a coating of something otherwise its dangerous to us, so just because of that, i personally wouldnt chance using it for chinchillas, if the coating was even safe for chins, what happens if he does manage to break a piece off and ingest any part of it, would end up being lethal :(..   oh it would be so much more fun to set up their cages if so many things werent dangerous to them :(

jean
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)
Pages: [1]   Go Up