Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playtime/wheel time?  (Read 1089 times)

SuperTaranta

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Playtime/wheel time?
« on: September 27, 2014, 01:37:26 PM »

So im a little confused, I have a 4 month old chinchilla, should she be having playtime? Should she have a wheel in her cage? I did a bit of research and its 50/50 really, people state that chins shouldnt have a wheel or playtime before 6 months so they can gain all the weight ect... So im not sure, any helpful input would be great.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 03:31:17 PM by SuperTaranta »

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Playtime/wheel time?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 04:06:07 PM »

I typically recommend not putting a wheel in your pet's cage until it's weight levels off. For some chins it's around 6 months, and for others it's closer to 12. Typically chinchillas tend to over-exercise on their wheel and it does affect their weight. I built a rotation counter on my wheel and it can be upwards of 4,000 revolutions per night.
My opinion is that it can effect their growth rate but the question is still how much and is it harmful to their developing limbs? I honestly don't know but I can see the wisdom of using caution. When I got Kulu I waited for his weight rate to fall before I got my wheel.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

kageri

• Appreciation points: 44
  • # of Chins: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 04:40:28 PM »

I don't wait.  Exercise that is not forced improves the growth of tendons, ligaments, and muscle development which then also improves forming joints.  I have not had chins with wheels put on lower body weight percentage increase than ones without a wheel.  Feed may play a part especially with pet owners buying a young chin.  Pet owners are usually encouraged to use lower protein and calorie foods like timothy based pellets and hay instead of alfalfa.  Breeders tend to use higher nutrient feed.  The bloodlines could also play a part.  Some may burn more energy than another breeder's bloodlines.  Those factors could account for the disagreement.

SuperTaranta

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 05:01:24 PM »

Ah ok, well, I didnt know about it and I started bubbles off with a wheel in her cage, so basically since 2 months. I recently took it out, just being worried that it was bad for her ect. But she was using it every night, or whenever she was in the mood. So do you guys think I should just wait it off till her weight balances out, or would the wheel be fine. Or instead give her playtime outside of the cage? and how often?

kageri

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 12:28:29 PM »

It's your decision to make.  You were given 2 opinions and way. Consider the variables of your chin and its care and come up with an opinion of your own.

Jasonred79

• Appreciation points: 24
  • human belonging to Popsicle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 04:29:50 AM »

I'd add one more opinion... if you put the wheel in, give them extra food.
I've never seen human children be small cause of being too active when young... unless it's extreme, or if they don't get enough food to keep up with their exercise.

kageri

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 09:52:34 AM »

Chinchillas should be fed unlimited hay and pellets anyway.  You just have to make sure feeders hold enough until the next time you feed them.

SuperTaranta

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 11:43:37 AM »

Thanks to everyone for giving me ideas, I'll be watching her weight day to day now, I'll give her the wheel back when its more stable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up