Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are peas and tomato juice dangerous for chins?  (Read 919 times)

Jasonred79

• Appreciation points: 24
  • # of Chins: 1
  • human belonging to Popsicle
    • View Profile
Are peas and tomato juice dangerous for chins?
« on: September 18, 2014, 02:33:32 AM »

I know it's not a good idea to feed that to them, it was an accident.

I was having my dinner, a bowl of baby peas in tomato juice, and I had let Popsicle out to play... then I got distracted by something, and Popsicle for once was very quiet... later I noticed red footprints all over my papers near my half eaten dinner... oh dear... and Popsicle hardly touched his pellets last night and today... oh man... he must have pigged out on that stuff... I know for a fact there's more calories in there than in Hay or Hay Pellets, but how bad is it? I don't know how much he ate either... Well, he seems perfectly normal except for the fact that he didn't eat his pellets...

I hardly have free time, but I'll try to make a vet appointment tomorrow I guess? ... though, by tomorrow, everything would have already gone through his digestive system already, so if no problems come up by tomorrow it's likely that I had a narrow escape?

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Are peas and tomato juice dangerous for chins?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 05:22:48 AM »

See what his droppings look like in the morning. If they are runny then you may need to medicate. It really depends on how much he ate.
Peas probably aren't too bad but tomato juice is acidic and may throw things off a bit. In general chinchillas must eat dried foods to prevent diarrhea.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

kageri

• Appreciation points: 44
  • # of Chins: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 09:11:20 AM »

The problem is mainly that he has none of the bacteria to digest fresh food because he's never have it.  The poorly digested food can cause gas and diarrhea.  If he doesn't get enough fiber and water his intestines could get stuck, GI stasis, or he could dehydrate.  Watch his droppings and his hay intake.  If the amount of droppings is small,these will likely be very soft so it will be harder to tell, and he's not eating much hay he needs to see a knowledgeable vet to stimulate his digestive tract into moving better. 

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 02:48:39 PM »

in response to:

I hardly have free time, but I'll try to make a vet appointment tomorrow I guess? ... though, by tomorrow, everything would have already gone through his digestive system already, so if no problems come up by tomorrow it's likely that I had a narrow escape?

if something is wrong, i would suggest you make time. i'm not saying this to be mean, but when chins get bad diareeah, or gas, it can go downhill every quickly.
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

Jasonred79

• Appreciation points: 24
  • # of Chins: 1
  • human belonging to Popsicle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 07:53:28 AM »

in response to:

if something is wrong, i would suggest you make time. i'm not saying this to be mean, but when chins get bad diareeah, or gas, it can go downhill every quickly.

Too true. I didn't mean I was procrastinating, it was 9pm my time when I wrote that message, so no vets were available. I meant I would cancel my other appointments and take Popsicle to the vet.
But as it turns out, he ate plenty of dinner that night, and has been 100% back to normal since then, so yeah, maybe he just splashed around in the stuff and he decided it tasted too sour or something. Either that or it didn't do any harm. Regardless, I'll make sure it doesn't happen again! Eeek.

So glad all is fine after all. Oh, btw, his droppings were perfectly normal as well, yeah if anything was amiss it would have been time to go to the 24 hour emergency vet or even the 24 hour human clinic... (even human doctors at private clinics will treat a sick animal if you throw enough money at them...)
Pages: [1]   Go Up