Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Urine on fur- underside/legs?  (Read 18673 times)

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Urine on fur- underside/legs?
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2014, 03:40:42 PM »

I would say if she starts eating down to about half her normal food it is necessary to supplement her diet. If it's noticeably down but she's still eating you may want to try to supplement by putting a glob in a small bowl or tray and she'll probably eat it.
Either that or if you notice a significant dropoff in fecal output which is another indicator there is a problem. Any undesired change in the consistency of the feces may a good early warning. Absence of feces overnight would be an extreme warning.

I don't know what the brownish thing is. Perhaps it's wet hay or something. It sounds like she is having incontinence so it could be about anything mixed with urine. If it looks like mucous you may want to talk to your vet.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

iheartchins

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2014, 08:15:22 PM »

Sorry I didn't get back to you yet! My dog got sprayed by a skunk and we've been trying to bathe him :/

I can't really tell her fecal output since she has a cagemate, but I've seen her poop today and I also saw her drink. After I gave her tonight's dose I gave her a cheerio and she ate that and I put some hay in front of her and she was munching on that.

I haven't seen the brown stuff anymore so not sure what it was.

mb30

• Appreciation points: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 20, 2014, 12:03:36 AM »

When you say you saw something light brownish...did it look like a streak?

I use fleece and i have seen this a few times. It scared me at first because i thought it was blood and one of the chins had a cut but they were both fine every time.

I'll take a picture if it happens again. I thought maybe the fleece wasn't absorbing the pee but i watched them pee after and it did absorb it. It definitely wasn't poop either.

I am wondering if it has something to do with the chin being in heat

iheartchins

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2014, 05:05:39 AM »

Yes, it was more of a streak than a glob. Still haven't noticed anymore of it, but like you said she could be in heat. Hmm

iheartchins

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2014, 05:37:27 AM »

So accidentally left the Baytril out of the fridge last night.. Is it okay to still administer? It smells fine and I've put it back in the fridge.

mb30

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 20, 2014, 07:36:16 AM »

I would imagine it would be fine but that's something you should call the vet about.

I wonder if my chin girl got the infection from being in heat and i didn't know and possibly sand got inside of her or irritated her.

I have read they go in heat every 25 to 30 days?
So i've been sort of trying to pay attention to when that is. I'm not sure if that is a possibility or not.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #81 on: September 20, 2014, 07:43:33 AM »

I don't know. Personally I would contact the vet and ask but I doubt there is going to be problem if you've done that only once or twice unless it looks separated or discolored. I suppose it will depend on what they may have mixed it with.
As far as the mucous thing that is not something I'm familiar with.
Here is an article I found that might be helpful: http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/90077-Left-Baytril-out-of-fridge
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

iheartchins

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2014, 01:50:57 PM »

Thanks, I read up on it a little online and many posts said it'd be fine unless it looks ones separated, as you said. I think what needs to be refrigerated in mine is the vanilla butternut flavoring. I chilled the medicine before I gave her this morning's dose. I'm getting the bene-bac powder today too.

iheartchins

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2014, 08:51:52 AM »

When I was giving this morning's dose I looked at her underside and it's still stained yellow. She could've been sitting in pee the whole time or her underside is still stained since she's white. Should I keep giving the baytril? I haven't seen her grooming down there anymore and doing the grinding her teeth thing after.

mb30

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2014, 11:31:51 AM »

Yeah her fur will probably stay yellow for a while if it has been stained.
Definitely go through the whole cycle of baytril. If the week is over then stop but it is quite important that you don't cut it short once you start her on it.
It sounds like she is still eating so she should be alright.

mb30

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2014, 11:39:41 AM »

Oh yeah, I was going to say that when my chin was on the baytril it seemed to work after 3 days...I think that's when she stopped excessively grooming herself. Maybe 4.

That is probably a good sign that the baytril is working. But cutting rounds of antibiotics is not a good idea. It can cause some worse problems in the long run. Also, the infection or whatever it is may still be lingering inside her and you can't tell. It won't hurt her to finish the cycle.

My chin showed the same symptoms in july. It was a friday late when i noticed. We tried to get her to the vet and they said we can't bring her until monday. We sort of talked them into giving us more baytril without actually looking at our chin.
They aren't supposed to do that but i told them 48 hours for a chin may be the difference between life and death. Luckily they agreed.

I'm not sure if she had the same thing but i gave her the baytril for a week anyways and nothing bad happened. She was grooming and grinding. She also had white stuff in her fur by her mouth. My wife checked her and she was swollen and a bit moist. It could very well just have been a normal heat cycle but i didn't want to take any chances.

If this keeps happening i may have to have her spayed.

Next time if it does hopefully it won't be on a friday and i'll be able to get her swabbed and analyzed.

iheartchins

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2014, 12:03:53 PM »

Thanks, sounds good. Tonight will be the ending of day 5. Is the total time of baytil supposed to be a week? My vet didn't really specify. Should I start the Bene-bac today too? If so, how do I give it to her and how much?

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #87 on: September 21, 2014, 02:07:03 PM »

I think ten days is the usual. It should be on your paperwork.

iheartchins

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 21, 2014, 02:34:05 PM »

Just reread an email that the vet or nurse sent me a few days ago and they said for 14 days. Is that too long?

mb30

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2014, 01:04:55 AM »

I was told to give it for 7 days

14 days does seem like quite a while? Maybe try to call another vet for a second opinion?

I'm not sure aboit bene bac. I gave a probiotic 2 to 3 hours after i gave the baytril. The stuff i had was a powder i put in the water. A teaspoon in the waterbottle. I did it every day while she was on baytril then every othee day for a week after just to be safe
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up