Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: found good wheels for CN cages  (Read 554 times)

kageri

• Appreciation points: 44
  • # of Chins: 10
    • View Profile
found good wheels for CN cages
« on: August 22, 2014, 09:58:32 AM »

I found these flying saucer like wheels that sit on a base instead of attaching to the bars and breaking the flimsy critter nations.  They might take up more room.  I'm not sure since I don't have the regular flying saucers.  The base is quite solid and the wheel is silent.  I wasn't even sure they'd figured it out because I heard nothing.  Then we saw Aime jogging on it followed by Katsu.  With 2 chins running on it the wheel hasn't shifted an inch in 24hours.  Maybe it might when they get to running faster but I don't think it will be a big deal.

http://www.exoticnutrition.com/trwhla14in.html

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: found good wheels for CN cages
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 10:48:37 AM »

Those are cool. This one is slightly different (different finish and tread pattern) that ones I'm used to seeing. I'm glad to see another company entering the market.
On the video in the link they showed adding "nail trimmer strips" to the wheel which is an intriguing idea but I think this is not advisable for chinchillas. Their nails do not tend to overgrow and they do tend towards issues with dry skin and cracking on their feet. Otherwise I think the flying saucer design puts chinchillas in the best orthopedic posture although they do take extra floor space.

In practice the wheel itself actually is silent but the pattering of feet on it is far from it! At least that is my experience with a regular vertical wheel that has ball bearings.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up