Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chin gave me a scare.  (Read 728 times)

Jasonred79

• Appreciation points: 24
  • # of Chins: 1
  • human belonging to Popsicle
    • View Profile
Chin gave me a scare.
« on: August 16, 2014, 11:03:52 PM »

so I was playing with popsicle, and he went into hide and seek mode and hid in his maze/condo, so I decided to take a bathroom break before he emerged.
As I was closing the bathroom door, I felt resistance. To my horror, Popsicle had tried to follow me in and I had closed the door on him. Not even the far end of the door, he was caught underneath near the middle of the door and the door base.
Freaked out that I had broken his ribs or crushed his internal organs or something. Called around trying to find a 24 hour emergency clinic that would let me x-ray an animal in a human hospital or find a 24 hour vet. Nothing nothing nothing.

He seems ok now though, quite active, so I think he's alright, though that advice about chinchilla's hiding injuries is worrying me a bit, but I think he's back to normal. ...
Pray for popsicle if you're the praying type... thanks all...

mb30

• Appreciation points: 36
    • View Profile
Re: Chin gave me a scare.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 03:29:22 AM »

I imagine if it was a serious injury that you would notice a sudden change in behavoir. They do hide illness well but if it was a broken rib or somehing of that nature you would notice something was wrong.

Just thank your lucky stars and chalk it up as a learning experience.

I very nearly stepped on one of my chins before. I was walking and put my foot down and felt something. Luckily i was able to stop myself in time. Now if my chins are out i dont lift my feet as high when walking. They seem to love feet haha.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 05:44:08 AM »

Yeah, that's pretty scary. Doors are notorious for injuring people and animals. It is yet another thing to add to our pet-owner paranoia! I'm grateful the outcome was good.
I do recommend that all chinchilla and exotic pet owners locate a clinic and emergency clinic ahead of time and to have the information available just in case. Not everyone has access to an emergency clinic for exotics though. Cats and dogs have it all.

Chinchillas are good at hiding minor injuries and sickness but major injuries not so much. They are usually pretty noisy and act aggressive when they get hurt from what I understand.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 05:49:09 AM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 05:42:22 AM »

im glad hes okay.

i have noticed no matter how hard you try to be careful with these guys, or other pets, sometimes crazy stuff just happens.   :doh:
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)
Pages: [1]   Go Up