Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: chewing fleece?  (Read 1980 times)

endicotta

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
chewing fleece?
« on: August 08, 2014, 09:09:09 PM »

when I first got my chin, the people I bought her from had been using Carefresh bedding in her cage. as a first time chinchilla owner, I was nervous to do anything other than what they'd told me, so I did. I used it for two years, and then she started chewing on it. I was worried, so I looked on here, and was told that as long as she didn't eat she was fine. The minute she started eating it, I stopped using it.
The bottom of her cage is made from a thick, sturdy cardboard. She always nibbled it a little when it was exposed, but she never ate it so I wasn't too concerned. With the new fleece lining, she seems determined to get to it.
I made the liner on Friday evening and she seemed to do okay with it. She was a tad cautious, but ignored it for the most part.
I had to be out of town Monday through Friday, so I had my grandfather take care of her. He's taken care of her several times before so she's comfortable with him. When I came back, I noticed that she had chewed a small hole through the fleece in one spot. She seems to be nibbling it a bit, but I'm discouraging her from that and instead offering her some of her food.
She just chews everything and I'm worried for her health. Is there anything I can do?
Her vet's office doesn't open until Monday, so I figured I'd ask advice here first.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: chewing fleece?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 05:13:59 AM »

I wouldn't be too worried unless symptoms devlop. I think I wouldn't want to use fleece with that chinchilla though as the chances of a bowel obstruction are much higher when you have an animal that does that. I recommend switching to either a wire cage floor suspended above a tray or pine (not cedar) or aspen bedding.

It is good for chinchillas to chew things and she should have constant access to wood in the cage. Cardboard is another thing she can have if she doesn't eat it to the point of loosing weight.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

endicotta

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 08:19:13 AM »

I wouldn't be too worried unless symptoms devlop. I think I wouldn't want to use fleece with that chinchilla though as the chances of a bowel obstruction are much higher when you have an animal that does that. I recommend switching to either a wire cage floor suspended above a tray or pine (not cedar) or aspen bedding.

It is good for chinchillas to chew things and she should have constant access to wood in the cage. Cardboard is another thing she can have if she doesn't eat it to the point of loosing weight.

She has 3 wooden panels, a wooden ramp, and a wooden house in her cage, all of which are chewed on constantly  :) my dad hand made my bed and we made sure the wood was safe for her so she chews that when she's running around.
She used to love cardboard tubes from toilet paper/paper towel rolls, but she would just play with those and not eat when they were in her cage so the use of those has been limited.
Thank you for your advice. I'll make a trip to the pet store in search of pine/aspen bedding today  ::nod::

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 08:31:41 AM »

FYI Solid white pine or aspen is safe wood that is inexpensive to obtain. If you use any laminated panels it must be constructed in such a way that they cannot chew the laminate by getting to the edges of the panels. Laquered or varnished wood is unsafe and so is particle board. The binders used in particle board are considered poisonous.
Solid white pine should be used for cage shelving and chinchillas should always have constant access to shelves. They will usually sleep there during the day.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 09:53:32 AM »

does she have a lot toys in her cage, in different places??? maybe try that.. but agreed, if she is chewing the fleece, it should be taken out
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)
Pages: [1]   Go Up