Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla produced white substance  (Read 3682 times)

mb30

• Appreciation points: 36
    • View Profile
Re: Chinchilla produced white substance
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2014, 11:59:20 PM »

I hope it works for you. Like i said i have no idea how this happened to my chin. I clean the cage every morning completely and then spot clean at night as well.

I use fleece bedding for the main bottom level and am currently waiting for fleece bedding that i ordered for the top main level as well now. Theres a little section of aspen bedding on the top main level now but i want to eliminate that and switch to all fleece.

I wonder if maybe some aspen bedding got stuck in her while she was peeing and created the infection or maybe even sand from the sandbath while she was in heat.

Beardysteve1

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2014, 10:13:36 AM »

Thought I would give you an update. Well the infection has cleared up. Went to the vets again yesterday for a follow up appointment and the vet says the infection around her feet and genital area has cleared up nicely. Unfortunately she now has something wrong with her eye, had got a speck of dust or sawdust stuck in her eye. The vet removed it and we are now on the ointment.

I am worried because she is so young (9 months) that all this trauma may have taken a toll on her. Poor thing has been through the wars and is very down and withdrawn.

Thanks to you guys for the advice. Hopefully that's us over the worst of it. Just need to get her eye back in order and cheer her up now.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2014, 11:02:59 AM »

I'm sure she'll get over it. I'm very glad to hear the infection was caught at an early stage. The antibiotic can also have side effects that cause depression. It may be a few days for that to clear up. Baytril can be very hard on chins. I know of others whose pets went through the same thing.
Minor eye infections from things like that are fairly common and tend to clear up on their own in about 2 days. It shouldn't be very long. Unfortunately you shouldn't dust until it does which I know isn't a good thing for her chinchilla morale. As long as she is eating and pooping you are safe.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Beardysteve1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2014, 11:25:55 AM »

Tonight's dose will be the last bayril she will have to take so hopefully that will be the end of the side effects. With her closed up eye, and withdrawal she seems very pathetic at the mo.  :'(

She is eating and pooping fine but has not been going near her water (at least not when I am there) there is some urine in the cage so maybe she is only drinking when she is alone. Can chins do with minimal water for a short while or should i consider critical care?

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2014, 12:57:46 PM »

Sorry you're having such a hard time.
If you haven't been checking the water level it wouldn't hurt to provide some critical care. You should not have to force feed it. If you put it somewhere in the cage she'll probably eat it. My chinchilla usually drinks all his water at night after I am asleep. I check his water level each morning and measure it. You may want to do the same.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Beardysteve1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2014, 01:59:23 PM »

We gave her the last of her baytril there and then a syringe of water which she gulped down happily enough. That should be her ok now. Thanks again for the help Gray.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2014, 03:04:48 PM »

Still be careful of the side effects of the baytril. It can be a few days still before you are out of danger.

mb30

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2014, 01:25:59 AM »

Glad to hear the infection is gone. My chin wasn't really back to normal for a week or so after tha baytril. I think alot of that had to do with the stress of being held against her will and burrito wrapped though. She definitely lost some weight which can sometimes be tricky to get back onto a chin. Just keep an eye on her and you should hopefully be alright.

Beardysteve1

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2014, 09:59:40 AM »

Thanks mb, I think that is the same with Misty. She is a bit traumatised but still comes out of her cage every day so she mustn't hate us that much. Keeping a close eye on her so should notice any changes as they happen. Will let you know when she is right as rain.

P.S. finally figured out how to upload an avatar so here is a picture of the wee patient.

mb30

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2014, 01:29:11 PM »

She looks very nice :)

Beardysteve1

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2014, 03:11:04 PM »

Final update. We went back to vets today for another follow up and everything has cleared up. Feet, eye and bum all back to normal. Its been an experience but Misty is healthy and we are a little the wiser about how she picks up these things, how often to give baths etc. If anything its been good to have to handle her so much. Thanks again for the advice and info!

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2014, 05:51:24 PM »

Awesome. I love to hear of a good outcome like that.  ;)

mb30

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2014, 09:28:21 AM »

Awesome news. It's not an easy thing to have to do. Great job :)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up