Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla produced white substance  (Read 3684 times)

Beardysteve1

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Chinchilla produced white substance
« on: August 05, 2014, 04:14:11 PM »

Hi all,

Weird one. I was playing with my chinchilla tonight and gathered her up into my arms at one stage, she didn't want to be held and started kicking out so I left her alone. Once on the ground she bent over and pulled something from her genitals.

Its hard to describe it looks like a weird white gunky substance, it wasn't liquid but was thick and messy like rice pudding (sorry). It seemed as if she were a cat hawking up a hairball or something. I am very worried, does anyone know what this is? Did I hurt her?

She is just playing as usual now.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 04:48:17 PM by Beardysteve1 »

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Chinchilla produced white substance
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 07:36:36 AM »

I am very sorry to say that this could be a very serious symptom of an infection of the genitals. I have seen several cases like this on the board and the seriousness will depend on where the infection is in inside. If it spreads into the uterus or has originated there chances of survival are very low. Please see a veterinarian ASAP, even an emergency vet visit if possible. Make sure your vet sees chinchillas, or at least plenty of rabbits as they have similar physiology.
Most likely they will start her on strong antibiotics. If they do make sure to bring home feeding supplies for hand feeding with your antibiotics as they will likely interfere with her digestion and get instructions from your vet. Antibiotics such as baytril are dangerous but are sometimes necessary.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Beardysteve1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 11:29:08 AM »

Thanks Gray,

Very worried now. Have requested an appointment for the vet tomorrow and am waiting to hear back. Took her out of her cage there to try and have a look at her genitals and nothing looks amiss from outside at least. I am hoping this is not as serious as we fear, but am prepared for the worse.

I'm also worried about  if I need to force feed her or administer medication. We haven't had her long and have not even been able to hold her for more than a split second or two.

Thanks for the heads up, hopefully get an answer tomorrow.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 11:57:06 AM »

I hope everything goes well for you. Hand feeding isn't that bad when you have two people and you probably won't have to do it more than twice a day depending on how bad the side effects of the baytril become. At this point it is all speculation and we'll see what the vet finds out.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Beardysteve1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 11:37:27 AM »

Back from vets.  She's Been prescribed baytril for a week. Wet doesn't think it's too serious as she's young and may have just ejected a plug before going into heat.

Will keep you posted on how she does.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 12:39:15 PM »

I'm glad to hear that. You probably know that baytril is terrible for causing anorexia in chinchillas and to watch your pet closely each day. I know of many chinchillas that have died because they were not being monitored and needed to be hand fed. You should be measuring her water intake as well. You can mark the level in the bottle with a rubber band.

Beardysteve1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 05:52:14 AM »

Thanks Gray. Yeah I'll be keeping an eye on her, I'm making sure that there is lots of food in her cage. She is still taking food from my hand and whatever I offer her. I took your advice and see that she is still drinking. Only problem is she is traumatised from being caught, burrito-ed and then being given the medicine. Heartbreaking stuff wish she knew that it was for her own good.

Follow up appointment next week when medication is done.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 06:02:45 AM »

I had to put my chin on some meds to treat a parastic intestinal infection. He didn't like it either but he bounced back when it was all over. The biggest annoyance is the fact everything will stick on your chin's chin and face. After four or five days of that it looks pretty disgusting. I recommend having a damp cloth (not dripping, but damp) right there to help wipe it up and to have everything set up in advance so it's as convenient and efficient as possible to minimize stress. Sounds like you've got it under control.

Beardysteve1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 07:05:10 AM »

Yeah i'm not too sure how much of her medication I got in her actual mouth last night, but more success this morning. Thanks for all the advice. I'm not sure if I would have taken her to the vet so quickly if not for your reply.

mb30

• Appreciation points: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 11:35:06 AM »

Beardysteve, i went through this in february with one of my girls and then again last month.
Both times i caught it early and i was also given baytril. Once a day for a week.
Both times it worked great. Luckily.

Just keep and eye on her and make sure she is still eating. I gave a mix of different herbs and hays and even a few treats just to keep her appetite stimulated. Be sure to buy some oxbow critical care just in case she stops eating. The baytril will most definitely have some affect on her appetite. My chin lost weight both times.

Also be sure to get some acidophillus or avipro(if they have that in the states).
Give a bit at least an hour after giving the baytril. This will help replenish the good bacteria in her stomach, which the baytril may kill.

My chin hated being wrapped too and left her stressed out for up to a weeo after but it is worth it.

I have no idea how this happens. The vet said she had vaginitis. I wouldnt give sand bath either until the week of baytril is over.
I dont know if its from a bacteria that is in theur poop and they sit on the poop or what.

mb30

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 11:41:59 AM »

There is also a good discussion here
http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9252&highlight=Jasmine+pyometra&page=7

Also, if it happens again i would highly suggest getting the vet to swab and analyze the discharge to see exactly what you are dealing with. My vet did not do that the first time and i was not there to request it.

The second time i noticed the same symptons extremely early and it was on a friday. The vets wanted us to bring her in on monday but i told them there is no way i can do that. 48 hours can be life or death with a chinchilla. Thankfully they were kind enough to give me more baytril without seeing the chin. So i didnt exactly have a chance to get a swab the second time either.

I was really scared it might have been pyrometra but since shes alive still i dont think that is the case.

Beardysteve1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 12:06:56 PM »

Thanks MB,

I'm actually in Ireland but will have a look out for some Avipro. She seems to be eating fine at the moment but I've only really started her on the Baytril so she may show some signs of upset stomach soon. I'm giving her lots of hay, different varieties of pellets and giving her a treat each time i administer her medicine.

In my case she may have got this infection from sitting in places where she pees, the vet said she had a slight infection in her feet also. She has a small edible mattress that she sits on and I think she has been urinating on it. Making me sure to be more careful in future. There has been no change in her behaviour (aside from me bothering her  ::tickedoff::) and no sign of any more discharges so hopefully all will be well.

Is it a good idea to reduce the number of baths she has? I wouldn't want to add any chance of her picking up more infections.

Thanks for the advice, will keep you posted.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 01:20:49 PM »

It is not advisable to be varying her diet when she is on the medications. Not all chinchillas will have problems with baytril but those who do typically show symptoms of GI stasis after three or four days.
It is also advisable to stop dusting her for about 5 days.
Chinchilla's contact with urine is very hard on their skin on their feet and can cause them to crack and bleed. It can also cause irritation if it comes in contact with their genitals and I think that is something that may cause an infection as well.

I think fleece bedding is generally a good idea but you may want to switch to regular pine  (kiln dried pine or aspen, not cedar) bedding for a few weeks. Typically chins will urinate in places where the scent is so the only way to break that habit may be to remove the fleece for a while until she establishes a pee area (usually it's confined to one corner of te cage) and and then make sure the fleece is extra clean when you put it back and cleaned no less often than twice a month.
Once she is healed up and off the meds dust her no more often than every other day. Dusting is also important for their hygene.

mb30

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 01:31:22 PM »

Also do not give her any sugary treats. Sugary stuff is a nono when on medication.

When i say i gave my chin diffeent stuff to keep her appetite stimulated it was all herbal. Plantain, nettle leaf, ings hay, timothy hay, orchid hay etc. She kept up her appetite enough to not need the critical care but her appetite definitely decreased.

Beardysteve1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 03:56:27 PM »

Thanks guys I'll take that all on board. Lots of great advice, I'll limit the dust baths.

Just to clarify when I said I gave her loads of food it's all stuff that she usually gets. Timothy Hay all around the cage and pellets with a raisin a day. We give her a bowl with around 90% one variety of pellets with a few others mixed in so she can go searching and digging around for wee special ones. We'd been doing that for a while before this and she's been eating heartily.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up