Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: i had my chinchilla for over 2 years or more  (Read 1159 times)

Dobey Snuggles

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
i had my chinchilla for over 2 years or more
« on: August 05, 2014, 12:18:32 PM »

I love Dobey so much . But some times he is a pain in the neck. what he does that makes me so mad, is when I leave my bedroom his always chewing my dressers and books that he can reach. but I sure do love him like a little brother. He also learned a new trick "when I was on my bed while on the phone (Facebook) he just jumped on my bed and I was so happy ". My favorite part about chinchillas are that they make cute little barking sound at night. plus the sand baths NOW that is cute and when they stop they always wipe there little cute noise . plus he his a dark gray like normal chinchilla .  But the different between my chinchilla that it had red eyes now that is  so rear to have a chinchilla with red because the chinchillas that eye see online or in pet shops in the city that  have black eyes. But now I have to say that my favorite pet is a chinchilla because they have very great jumping abilities / climbing . and the amazing part is that there teeth grow and grow as when they get older. Oh and can not forget the adorable supper soft fur its even softer then a cute little bunny's and cats. chinchillas always love the hot weather and I do to :) , there are half chinchilla and half square, there tail is so different then any other tail so cool . For now on I am going to try to put blogs every night . About me and my little  baby Dobey .                       

Beardysteve1

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Re: i had my chinchilla for over 2 years or more
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 02:27:40 PM »

They are pretty cool little critters. Mine loves to chew on wood so much that we gave her a little wooden house for her cage. The next morning one of the walls was gone because she ate through it!

Glad you're enjoying your chinchilla, I think they are the perfect pet.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: i had my chinchilla for over 2 years or more
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 07:47:42 AM »

Yes, chinchillas need constant access to wood and loose hay to keep their teeth trimmed because their teeth constantly grow just like other rodents and rabbits too. Therefore the teeth must be constantly trimmed by chewing on hay and wood. If their teeth overgrow it can cause serious health problems. As they get older, like 10 years old, sometimes they get lazy and don't chew as much as they should, and require their teeth to be filed by a veterinarian as the overgrown teeth poke into their tongue and jaws, and cause them enough pain to stop eating.

Chinchillas also need to be kept cool, ideally, below 73 degrees F. Heat is really bad for them and can cause seizures, brain damage, and organ failure. Please be very careful with chins in hot weather. I know of several that have been lost to heat stress. Perhaps you can write about first aid for heat stress in one of your blog posts.

It is interesting that you have a chinchilla with standard grey markings and ruby eyes. It has inherited a trait from a beige chinchilla and is likely a heterozygous beige.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up