Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RIP Amy - 16 years old  (Read 2131 times)

MrsSlagle

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
RIP Amy - 16 years old
« on: August 04, 2014, 10:14:46 PM »

Today I had to euthanize my female chinchilla that I've had since I was 11 years old. She was 16.
I've never had to have any major vet care done for her up until this year.
In February she suffered from a corneal ulcer that healed within a week after antibiotics.
2 months ago I had to place her fragile self under anesthesia for dental work as her bak molars were starting to spike. She was on softened pellets and critical care for the rest of time and started declining since. She became very skinny and frail.
She weighed a small 388grams today.
I'm simply glad I was able to treat her in her old age. Working at an exotic vet as a vet tech definitely has it's perks.
I'm hoping my 15 year old male chinchilla does okay without her. I'm afraid he may go since his mate will no longer be around. Has anyone experienced chinchilla depression once a mate passes? I've had my male since I was 10 years old. I picked up Amy when she was about 3 years old.
Rip Amy.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: RIP Amy - 16 years old
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 08:45:07 AM »

One part of my is sorry that you had to go through that and another part of me wants to congratulate you for having a chinchilla that stayed so healthy to such an old age.
From my observations of the boards chinchilla pairs usually do fine after a mate passes but occasionally you see problems with depression upon separation. It is certainly something to watch for and may be likely considering how long they have been together.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

MrsSlagle

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Amy - 16 years old
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 08:29:09 AM »

Thanks. Just got confirmation that I did the right thing.
My vet completed a necropsy on her and turns out she had a tumor in her intestinal tract.
Pages: [1]   Go Up